Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tyche - Seleucia In Pieria

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 238Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
227 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  10:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin was listed as; "Unknown Ancient Greek Coin AE 21 circa 100-50 BC - Seleucid kingdom". The mention of Seleucid caught my attention, and as the coin was inexpensive, and there was no interest being shown, I bid and won it. It has turned out to be an interesting coin to me, being minted in Seleucia in Pieria, and having both Roman and Seleucid connection.

After a brief search, this one in the British Museum was the closest match in design, size and weight. https://www.britishmuseum.org/colle...06-1103-2658

This one on VCoins was a close match too. https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ma...Default.aspx

Roman Provincial, issued under Governor Commodus. Date - 157 (Year 188).
Obverse: Bust of Tyche, right; wearing turreted head-dress and veil; palm-branch behind head; border of dots. Reverse: Thunderbolt on cushion placed on stool, bead and reel border.
Minted in: Seleucia in Pieria. Diameter: 21 millimetres. Weight: 7.12 grammes.
Learn More...
United States
22975 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin with a nice genuine sad patina, nice find.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1822 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find and nice looking coin Jim .....I'm sure @echizento means SAND

Found this one on wildwinds..Not an exact match but maybe gives a bit more info at least on the legends.

Syria, Seleucia AE 21 mm. 6.30 grams.Year 188 of the local era = 157 AD.
Obv: EPI KOMODOU PR, female bust (Tyche of Seleucia) right, wearing
turreted head-dress and veil, palm-branch behind head, border of dots.CELEUKEWN THC IERAC KAI AUTONOMOY in four lines above and beneath
thunderbolt, with fillet attached, on cushion placed on stool
Note: The Commodus mentioned on the obverse is the legate of Syria, C.
Julius Commodus Orfitianus.
Learn More...
United States
15976 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure @echizento means SAND

Yes the patina is quite happy actually. Seriously though, nice coin!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16960 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VCoins tends, on average to have what is for sale, priced a bit high.

Nevertheless, if you bear this in mind, it can be what is probably the best guide for current market pricing, for what is currently for sale, for a similar coin that you may be considering to buy.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
227 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I did read "sand patina" in echizento's post, so no worries.

Thank you for the additional information Paul. I did a search for C. Julius Commodus Orfitianus, and his name was mentioned in quite a few books. The extract below was taken from a book relating to Roman inscriptions found on the East coast of Bulgaria. I am learning all the time.

Quote:
"A record of how C. Julius Commodus Orfitianus, a known official, made in 155 A.D. burgos et praesidia to protect Thrace - the first occurrence of the word burgos, curiously enough found at Burgas."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1822 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I have noticed Jim is that the BMC, VCoins and wildwinds examples all seem to show a blank space under the stool whereas your OP coin shows what seems to be 2 letters maybe a Zk?...The silver Tets on wildwinds reference a date?
Might be something to follow?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
227 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Paul, the silver Tetradrachms do appear to have text or symbols below the stool. All the reverses I've seen for the bronze coins have a blank space below the stool, apart from the one below on VCoins.

https://www.vcoins.com/cn/stores/sh...Default.aspx

The lettering appears to be ro above ka. The lettering on the coin I have looks like zk over ka. I agree that it looks like some form of date reference, but I've not been able to find any data to compare it with so far.

Jim
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05