Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 Hong Kong 10c DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 299Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1435 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't collect foreign coins "on purpose" but I won a couple of 1935 Hong Kong 10 cent coins (KM#19) at auction from a favorite seller for next to nothing.

When I received them I got a nice surprise as one is a DDO with strong notching and nice thickness with separation on all exterior obverse devices (some even had tripling). The separation and notching are strongest on the lower half of the coin.

I love varieties but my regular resources ( NGC and Numista) don't have a variety listed.
I was hoping someone here might point me in the right direction or fill me in on a variety number.
1935 10cent Hong Kong Numista link
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7758.html
All help or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. PP55

Pillar of the Community
United States
2910 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most countries' varieties are not well documented. It would actually be surprising if this one is listed anywhere, even though the doubling is so strong.

Very nice find anyways! Very strong doubling!

I enjoy searching any and all coins for doubled dies, although I don't have the opportunity to search non-US coins very often. I have been posting pics of the ones I do find onto my website. I bought a lot of world coins on eBay just the other day and I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail. If I found a doubled die as strong as your coin in that lot, I'd be stoked!
Edited by Tanman2001
05/26/2020 11:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1435 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman. I'm like you in that regard, not doing much with foreign coins. But their sure seems to be some extreme errors and varieties posted recently. (Just look at how many are used as examples on Error-ref.com)

And I think the age of the equipment, maybe even more lax Quality Control at foreign mints, and a minimal number of collectors makes varieties and errors more of a possibility for foreign coins.

There was a reason some countries contracted with the US to produce their coinage and quality control may have been a large part of the decision.
Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These would have been struck in London at The Royal Mint, which, although today is guilty of terrible quality control, back in the 30s would have been quite stringent in its checks. This variety is likely known to specialized HK collectors, but as was pointed out, most countries don't have a level of detail in their listings comparable to say the Charleton guide for Canada. The information regarding varieties such as this tends to be guarded and passed around in small circles.

All in all, an interesting piece though!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent find! Nice DDO!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05