Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Musicians On Coins [post Examples]

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,990Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great write-up, @commems.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice example and thank you for the additional information!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisEd/jbuck: Thanks for the positive feedback. Much appreciated!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Czechoslovakia, 100 Korun, 1991, 150th Birthday of Antonín Dvo#345;ák.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 1-1/2 Euro coin of France that commemorates the 2003 bicentennial of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase. As part of the design, the reverse of the coin presents trumpet player Louis Armstrong.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad was a Dixieland Jazz fan, so albums featuring artists of the musical genre made their way to the family stereo. Of course, Louis Armstrong appeared on more than one of the albums.

As a follow-up to the Euro coin of France that I posted above, here's a 1982 one-ounce American Arts Gold Medallion (from the series that was the forerunner to the American Gold Eagle (AGE) bullion coin program) featuring a smiling Armstrong on the obverse and his trumpet and musical notes on a staff on the reverse.

(I need to get my set of these medals out of the bank, until I do, here's an image of the 1982 Armstrong medal courtesy of Heritage Auctions, https://www.ha.com.

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Austria, 1956, 25 Schilling, commemorating the 200th birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Austria, 1956, 25 Schilling, commemorating the 200th birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a half-ounce gold medal struck by the US Mint in 1980 as part of the American Arts Gold Medallions program - it features Marian Anderson, the American singer who was a major star for decades during the 20th century. She was born on February 27, 1897 and died on April 8, 1993. She received a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1963 from President Lyndon Baines Johnson - just two weeks after President Kennedy's assassination.

Anderson was a contralto - i.e., a female singer with a singing voice in the lowest vocal range (for a female).

The medal was designed/engraved by Frank Gasparro. Its reverse design is based on the Congressional Gold Medal authorized for Anderson in 1977 by US President Jimmy Carter - the original design was by Matthew Peloso.

1980 Marian Anderson Half-Ounce Gold Medallion

(Image Credit: Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions, https://www.ha.com.)

To learn more about the American Arts Gold Medallion program, check out:

- 1980-84 American Arts Gold Medallions

Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking medal, commems. Never had heard of Marian Anderson. So far, I only am familiar with the Fraser and Ellington commemoratives.
Edited by NumisEd
06/26/2022 08:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisEd: You might find the post I linked above interesting - it talks a bit more about Marian Anderson.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Commems, thanks for the link. Her portrait seems familiar to me. I think there is TV series about her?
Regarding the commemorative series itself, I wish they had minted these coin in silver instead of gold. Would have made it much more affordable for the collector.
Edited by NumisEd
06/26/2022 09:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Her portrait seems familiar to me. I think there is TV series about her?

I'm not sure about a TV series (but there could be), but I do know that she has been the subject of multiple documentary films - including one that aired on PBS earlier this year.

Edited by commems
06/26/2022 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7794 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regarding the commemorative series itself, I wish they had minted these coin in silver instead of gold. Would have made it much more affordable for the collector.

While I can certainly understand your perspective, it's important to remember that a primary driver behind the series was the striking of a small-sized gold product for Americans to purchase and invest in American gold - the series was specifically designed/legislated to encourage the purchase of gold. Striking the medals in any other metal would not have accomplished the objective.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,990Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: