Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guide To Identifying Modern (1950 S Onwards) Egyptian And Syrian Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 274Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
53 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  06:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have just sorted a bunch of foreign coins and have a confused pile of Egyptian and possibly Syrian coins to ponder over. I have seen some coins on the net that appear Egyptian described as Syrian. Did Egypt and Syria share a common coinage during the United Arab period? Is there a key point on an Egyptian coin to tell if it's Egyptian? Also, the eagle sometimes has 0, 1, 2 or 3 stars in the shield. What is the significance of the stars and the number? Have tried googling for answers but not getting anywhere. Is there a good online guide that gives the background about this? Thanks
Valued Member
376 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any pics ?
Edited by Numister
06/02/2020 07:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3466 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@David, a lot of us use the online catalog Numista for coin identification. According to the sections for Egypt https://en.numista.com/catalogue/eg...c_egypte6165
and Syria https://en.numista.com/catalogue/sy...#c_syrie6163 I see these patterns:
- before 1958 thw falcon/hawk is used only on Syrian coins, and not on Egyptian as far as I can tell, and faces right.
- during the United Arab Republic period, the bird faces left and has 2 stars for the two nations. While the obverse designs are often similar, the reverse designs are very different.
- after the UAR period it looks like both countries use the falcon facing right, but only Syria uses 3 stars (though not always)
Unless you can read Arabic, I think you will need to use the catalog, or an app like Coinoscope to tell apart the coins during the UAR period, or later when the bird has no stars,

Edited by tdziemia
06/02/2020 08:14 am
Valued Member
Australia
53 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and thanks for the replies,

Numister - I have about 50 coins so didn't want to post pics of every one. I have surmised the coins with pyramids are Egyptian but it was the eagle coins that were throwing me the real wobbly.

Tdziemia - Thanks. Have used Numista for checking a coin I have found using google but never thought of browsing a country for trends. Thanks. So there is some logic in the eagle but not a hard fast rule.

Kind regards
Valued Member
Australia
53 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, sat down last night and sorted out my egyptian coins. One date had 3 different style coins! Had about 25-30 egyptian coins and 5-6 Syrian coins. Had difficulty with a nother coin then discovered it was Libyrian so 3 countries are using the eagle and shield motif. Arghh! Still, all good now and have learnt along the way. Thanks again.
Learn More...
Australia
13339 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Egypt and Syria, though technically united in a federation, kept their own separate currencies for the three years of the Union's existence. Egypt kept the name, and the UAR eagle on its coins, even though the "Union" now had a membership of just 1.

The eagle is described as the "Eagle of Saladin", the badge of the mediaeval soldier-prince who unified most of the Muslim world against the crusaders. In the light of European colonialism and the existence of Israel being seen in the Arab world as a "new crusade", many Arab nations across the Middle East and north Africa have adopted this eagle as their national symbol. The "Falcon of Quraish" is a similar-looking bird also used by some of these countries, for a similar reason; your Libyan coin is probably the falcon, rather than the eagle.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05