Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1905 DDR-002 Indian Head Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
831 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This things a honker. Due to the harsh cleaning and excessive wear the leaflet vines show thickness, no clear doubling. $1.00 in a dealers junk bin. Looks that everything else matches up.Stronge doubling on ONE CENT, similarity to the 1870 FS-801 DDR I have. The extra thickness was a naked eye pup.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which attribution guide/website are you using? Can you provide a snow attribution? It certainly might be a DDR with that thickness but with all the circulation it might be difficult to tell for sure.

I remember that 1870 FS-801 you posted a while back. A nice coin-a variety I've hunted for a while. This series has some amazing varieties but they are oh so difficult to find.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
831 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indianvarities.com it was all I was able to dig up S-20 is the cross ref. Interestingly most of the information/pics focus on the wreath doubling with only backoff pics of ONE CENT. If the one cent of example coin shown on Indianvarities and my coin are scrutinized they appear to me as a match. I think :)
The more I stare at it the doubling on my example appears stronger-either an later die state or completely different variety? Have loaded pic courtesy of Indianvarities.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that even if it was a DDR, it may be too far circulated to tell. Like you said, the Indianvarieties.com pictures show the separation on the leaves and not much else. I don't see much doubling anywhere else on Snow-20 that could be seen on a circulated example.

I definitely see the extra thickness you are talking about, but I don't see the separation lines pointing to Snow-20. Hang onto it if you like but unless it was a strong or unlisted variety, I would put it with the rest of my Indians.

Happy hunting!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
831 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
found the match - 1905 variety # 18 DDR image courtesy of Indianvarities.com / definitive ref. Indian varieties. I suspected this DDR was attributed, the strength of doubling just to hard to miss. Tottaly missed on this one by calling it DDR 002 but that pointed the path to this. Looks like a better reverse variety than the 002 IMO.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4058 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Glad to hear you were able to match it.

-CH27

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05