Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle Cent For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  11:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this is a coin I posted a while ago. While admiring it some time ago, I noticed a scratch. While I planned to slab it, I am now worried it may come back detailed and I am rethinking the slab . The scratch is only visible with an angled light source, and is very light. Any opinions?

-CH27

Angled light to show scratch:

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Edited by CoinHunter27
06/02/2020 11:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3282 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a scratch (lower field heading towards claw?)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming you're referring to the first image, yes. It looks like another scratch.

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Edited by CoinHunter27
06/03/2020 12:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5275 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will the scratch detail it? It might...only one way to find out.

The rim CUD on the obverse above "STATES" is kinda cool!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a litter Verdigris on the back. Considering the state and cost of this coin, why are you even considering slabbing it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48867 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VFish, scratch may detail it, certainly not something I would submit even if it were perfect.
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toss up in my book on the details. But like others said, I would not send it in. If it straight grades, F15-VF20 IMO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8876 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a shot at VF20 scratches may be enough to details it but its a toss up
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that the coin is Snow-4 FS-101, a very difficult doubled die to track down. That was why I wanted to Slab it. It looks like I may not be doing that now. Thanks again!

-CH27

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20901 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 and should straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4039 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

-CH27

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05