Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Releases For June 2020

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 756Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4460 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  8:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Clicking on "New Releases" on the RCM web site yesterday, the first day of public sale for the new coins, yielded only three new coin offerings: one individual coin and two multi-piece sets. There are three other coins listed, but they were available on the site prior to today. It's a far cry from past months, but it could be COVID-19 related vs. a change in RCM's model.

The 10-ounce silver Armorial Bearings coin is a nicely-executed design honoring Canada's history via the emblem of the Dominion of Canada in 1868; it includes the arms of Canada's first four provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec). At $1,049.95 it's not a coin for every collector.

There is also the Maple Leaf Masters Collection (a five-coin fractional silver set) that is shown as "Sold Out." The centerpiece of the set is a kilogram coin with a denomination of $250 and selective rose gold plating. Other coins in the set are a half kilogram ($125), a five -ounce ($50), a two-ounce ($30) and a one-ounce ($20). I like the maple leaf designs used on the coins but would never consider purchasing the set. For those who did, it set them back $3,995.95!

For me, the only coin of interest is included in the 2020 Special Edition Silver Dollar Proof Set - 75th Anniversary of V-E Day: Royal Canadian Navy.

The silver dollar in the new proof set has the distinction of being only the second 36mm silver dollar to feature a privy mark - the first was the 2004 Ile Sainte-Croix SD in the limited edition Coins and Stamps Set which also included a silver 1/4 Euro coin from France. The new coin salutes the Royal Canadian Navy and its efforts in support of the Allied victory in World War II.

Per the RCM, the new SD features a privy mark that is based on the commemorative reverse design of Canada's 1945 Victory nickel; it should be noted, however, that the Victory torch design was used on Canada's five cent coins from 1943 through 1945.

Though it's the second SD to feature a privy mark, the coin is the first SD to have the privy mark on the obverse; the 2004 SD had a fleur de lis privy mark positioned just above the horizon line on the reverse. Per the RCM's sales page for the set, the privy mark appears on the obverse of all the coins in the set, along with the portrait of King George VI that was in use on Canadian coins from 1937 to 1952.

(Note: Privy marks have been used on many RCM coins over the years, but only rarely on its SDs.)

The selling price of the set is $99.95 CAD; it currently has a ship date of September 2020. To keep my SD collection complete, I'll be a buyer of the set.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2705 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a far cry from past months, but it could be COVID-19 related vs. a change in RCM's model.

May, 2020 also had only limited release of 3 or 4 new coins, one was a diamond coin called Sparkle of the Heart which sold out.

The rep explained all coin production was shut down due to Covid-19. New releases from April and May won't be shipped until late summer or fall.

MC members like me got the June release notice last week. Did not even bother to post because so few coins. And I think few people even care about coins now. Not a single person enquired about the May 2020 releases. No one missed it.
Edited by MoneyPenney
06/04/2020 04:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a third coin in the overpriced $10 subscription coins.

The Parliament House. I think, design is very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
592 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

All three coins released so far have very nice designs. Are there pictures for the remainder of the coins in the series?

Cheers!
Edited by Alex A
06/04/2020 3:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
474 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the looks of the 2020 special edition proof set. It would be cool if they issued that nickel in circulation as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
592 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cdncoins great suggestion!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there pictures for the remainder of the coins in the series?

Unfortunately, no.
Initial mail, advertising the subscription, shown only 3 first coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the proof set last night. I also added a roll of 50-cents to get the free shipping discount (would have been an additional $12.99). I only need ONE 2020 50-cent piece, but my end cost for the $12.50 roll was only $12.00. I figure I should be able to get face value for the remaining 24 coins.

(PS: All money values listed in CAD)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6623 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also added a roll of 50-cents to get the free shipping discount (would have been an additional $12.99). I only need ONE 2020 50-cent piece, but my end cost for the $12.50 roll was only $12.00. I figure I should be able to get face value for the remaining 24 coins.

Without calculation, but as per logic, there is a mistake.
You enjoyed Free Shipping and half price of a roll by buying a roll? Shouldn't work like this.

Or you bought roll for full price (twice face value), and then got Free Shipping.
Or you paid for shipping and got a roll for half a price.

Saying above, I agree that 50c roll purchase was smart buy.

In addition, noticed that 2020 in 50c coins are nicely split to "20" - Coat of the Arms - "20"
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 756Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05