Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Extra Holes In Presidential Dollar Albums

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 382Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  8:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently decided to go for a full P&D set of Presidential dollars rather than my existing date set, so I purchased a Dansco 7184. However, beyond those for Carter, Clinton, and Bush 43, there are 10 extra holes at the end of the album (since H.W. Bush will be released this year). My first thought would be to have examples of proof, reverse proof, and satin finish coins, but that still leaves 7 holes. I could also do a P&D satin President, one proof, and all 5 reverse proofs, or maybe proof issues of my favorite presidents. Of course there's plenty of possibilities, but my question is what have you done (for this or any other Pres$ album) or what what ideas do you have?
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's strange. Maybe it's for prrofs. Not sure.
Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fortunately or unfortunately, many albums have empty holes on the last page. I don't have a Presidential dollar album but I have many others.

Not sure if there are any dollar coin errors out there. If there are, you might consider that.

Like you say, there are many possibilities. You can use your imagination. Here's the last page of my Washington album. It ends at 1980.

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In my Ike album I filled the spaces with the plastic disks that came in the cello packs...

I don't have a pic, but in my Lincoln Cent Album #1 I added some extra 1909vdb's etc and some 60's proof that were gem...

It's up to your imagination I guess...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3121 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if there are any dollar coin errors out there. If there are, you might consider that.
The most famous errors are the godless dollars, but of course they wouldn't really show up well in the album. Anything else I can think of is either really rare, blatantly one-off, or both.
My personal proposal would be to add a Sacagawea, Native American, and/or Innovation dollar.

Quote:
However, beyond those for Carter, Clinton, and Bush 43
...OK, Obama probably isn't going to die for a while, I admit. I'd still say it might be useful to leave a place for Donald Trump (who's older than Bush 43, and only a few months younger than Clinton), and possibly even for Joe Biden (older than all of the above except Carter) if he wins in 2020.

Incidentally, what's the expected mintage for the Bush 41 dollar? As in, closer to 1 million, 10 million, or 100 million?
Because now I kind of want one of those for my collection, but if it's going to be like a 1 million mintage or less, I probably won't be able to afford it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Like you say, there are many possibilities. You can use your imagination. Here's the last page of my Washington album. It ends at 1980.

I've thought about adding an error coin, such as an example of the missing edge lettering error, but I'm going back and forth since I couldn't see it in the album anyway. I really like what you've done with your Washington album though!

Quote:
In my Ike album I filled the spaces with the plastic disks that came in the cello packs...

Great idea, mtuma!

Quote:
My personal proposal would be to add a Sacagawea, Native American, and/or Innovation dollar.

Quote:
I'd still say it might be useful to leave a place for Donald Trump (who's older than Bush 43, and only a few months younger than Clinton), and possibly even for Joe Biden (older than all of the above except Carter) if he wins in 2020.

I didn't think about leaving space for presidents after Bush 43. That's a good idea. I think I'll wait and see if future laws are passed for the other presidents (as they did with Bush 41) before I make a final decision.

However, your point about other dollar coins goes along with my idea for the existing holes for Carter, Clinton, and Bush 43. My thought was to use 1979 P&D SBAs for Carter and 2000 P&D Sac$ for Clinton, since in both cases the coins were signed into law by those Presidents and struck during their terms. But I haven't decided what to do for Bush 43. I could do 2001 P&D or later Sac$ since they were struck during his term, although he didn't sign them into law. He did sign the NA$ into law but they weren't struck until 2009, and even though he served for the first few weeks of 2009, I associate that year more with Obama than Bush.

That raises the question, what has the community done with these holes in their albums?
Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like what you've done with your Washington album though!

Thanks.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That raises the question, what has the community done with these holes in their albums?
They are empty and holes without labels are intended for successive presidents.

Time is relentless, it passes rather quickly and all men die. I do expect every president to get a dollar eventually. I would never hope to fill those remaining holes soon, but I believe their being filled is inevitable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1093 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are empty and holes without labels are intended for successive presidents.

That makes sense. I'll probably save a few holes for future presidents and use the rest for examples of satin finish, proof, and reverse proof dollars. Maybe with the Bush 41 coin this year we'll get something else interesting...
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 382Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05