Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bank Said They Have No Coin. (Due To Covid-19)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,939Next Topic
Page: of 5
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DelawareMatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this message today at work, FYI I don't work for the Fed. This will help explain why people had about their banks not giving out boxes.

--------------------------------------
NONCONFIDENTIAL // EXTERNAL

Good afternoon,

As you may be aware, due to the COVID-19 pandemic many banks and retail outlets have been experiencing low inventories of coins in recent weeks caused by the dramatic decrease in coin circulation through the normal supply chain. As of April 2020, the U.S. Treasury estimates that the total value of coin in circulation is $47.8 billion, up from $47.4 billion as of April 2019. While there is adequate coin in the economy, the slowed pace of circulation has meant that sufficient quantities of coin are not readily available where needed. Given the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond's role in distributing supplies of cash and coin to Federal Reserve FedCash® Services customers, I wanted to touch base to update you on recent actions by the Federal Reserve to address the issue.

In an announcement made today, the Federal Reserve will be convening a group of industry leaders for a limited-scope, limited duration task force, the. U.S. Coin Task Force, to work together to reduce the consequences and duration of COVID-19 related disruptions to normal coin circulation. This follows the implementation on June 15th of a temporary strategic allocation methodology intended to help resolve the near-term supply issues while ensuring fair and equitable distribution of existing coin inventories.

The coin supply chain includes many participants, from the U.S. Mint who produces new coin, to the Federal Reserve who distributes coin on the U.S. Mint's behalf, to armored carriers, banks, retailers and consumers, all of whom have a role to play in helping to resolve this issue. The task force will begin meeting in early July to develop recommendations for actionable steps our supply chain partners can take to address the issue.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6416 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
total value of coin in circulation is $47.8 billion, up from $47.4 billion as of April 2019

One billion is a number we often take for granted:

One billion seconds is 33 1/3 years.
One billion minutes ago is around the time Jesus Christ was walking the Earth.

Close to 48 billion dollars of coin currently in circulation impacts my thoughts about the concept of our society becoming cashless soon.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4005 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am also a consumer who uses self-checkout in grocery stores, occasionally feeding a bill and getting change.
There, too, no problems.
Meijer stores across Michigan have discontinued cash use on self-checkout lanes, others soon to follow.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16779 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's a coin shortage because the bank won't let us in.

That is a big part of it. The average person conducts his business, get change and tosses it into a jar. He may want to dispose of it, but the bank lobbies are closed and you can't send quantities of coin through the pneumatic tubes that most drive throughs use. So they don't have a convenient way to dispose of it. So it just keeps accumulating and not returning to the flow of commerce.

Quote:
Close to 48 billion dollars of coin currently in circulation impacts my thoughts about the concept of our society becoming cashless soon

$48 billion is $137 person. It really isn't that much.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the pandemic I would meet customers in the drive thru if they had a large amount of change to deposit. At this moment the banks should not be turning down rolled coin and making exceptions to get that currency back into circulation. My branch could use some coin now but I should have enough to last about 2 weeks under normal circumstances. I am still working to get customers to come in and deposit coin now that our lobby is open.
I would say if your branch doesn't want to get your coin, then go to another branch/bank to help out.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$48 billion is $137 person. It really isn't that much.
Seems about right. I seldom if ever have more than $80 in cash on me.

Since the pandemic, it is basically $0.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16779 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's $137 per person in COIN. I know I have many times that amount sitting around in boxes, bags, cans, tubs etc. And a GREAT many people have change hoards many times that amount sitting around.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think what's important to this discussion is how much coin anyone has accumulated in the last 6 months.
Because 6 months ago there was no issue.

For me the answer is close to zero. I take my pocket change and get rid of it, except for the very occasional LWC or War Nickel I find. I probably accumulate less than 50 cents/year of U.S. coins.

But that's meaningless... we are talking about the aggregate behavior of an economy with 300 million consumers.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's $137 per person in COIN.
Oops.

<looks over at the change jar>

Still seems about a right.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took my last bag of coins to the bank today. Total dumped since the 1st of the year $3239.57 Coins included the small dollar also. Coins were from a 5 gallon container and leftovers from roll searching over the last 5 years. My teller told me that she was happy to get some coins in and she was also happy that I was done bringing all those bags in. I used some of that change to pick up a couple of 1909 S VDB wheaties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used some of that change to pick up a couple of 1909 S VDB wheaties.

Wow! Time for me to start a change jar!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3795 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kroger just announced they are no longer providing change back but giving you the option to have it loaded on your customer loyalty card to be applied to a future purchase.
Edited by Joe2007
07/11/2020 12:26 am
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow! Time for me to start a change jar!

I usually fill a quart jar a year, which will bring you about $85.00 +/-.

I was dumping coins into a 5 gal container for over 20 year, plus I was dumping all my unused coins from CRH into the bucket also. I roll searched a LOT of small dollar rolls so there was a lot of $1.oo coins in the bucket. For 3 years prior to dumping all those coins, I sorted, searched, and inventoried all of them. After filling coin albums, I decided to dump all coins from 1980 on that I didn't need. I kept all coins dated 1979 and back.

I am still going to hoard all my wheaties.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Kroger just announced they are no longer providing change back...

Except at the self-checkout lines. Which is the only way I have shopped for the last 10 years.

I think this concept dovetails with the threads on cashless society ... COVID is providing the excuse to do the experiment.
For grocery stores, where repeat customers are the norm rather than the exception, the Kroger system makes perfect sense.

I expect every large chain will follow suit, and never look back.

Seems the news networks have finally caught on. CBS national news also did a piece on the shortage of coin this evening.
Edited by tdziemia
07/11/2020 9:40 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,939Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05