Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spots On Maple Leaf In Pride Of Two Nations Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 676Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  4:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I finally purchased a Pride of Two Nations and opened it up today. The Silver Eagle looks wonderful, but I've noticed that the maple leaf has a few small imperfections on it. I don't intend to get this set graded, but I almost want to return it. What do y'all think?

Here are the imperfections, some on each side of the coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10621 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... I assume you bought this second-hand? It looks like there are dings on the rim of the ASE too so it's possible these coins spent some time out of the capsules. I'd be tempted to return it as well.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did buy it second hand. I'm not seeing any dings on the reverse of the eagle. It must be on the capsule. I guess I'll have to return it. I'll never be happy with that maple leaf.
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love my set. I got it from the mint though. If it had these issues I would not be happy, either.

It stinks that you have to return it, but it would stink more if you felt unhappy every time you look at it. Coins are supposed to bring joy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well they sell right at issue price from wherever you buy it, so might as well buy it 2nd hand from a very reputable source rather than like ebay or Craigslist or something like that.I'm just assuming you didn't buy it from a "coin dealer" because the margin is so low on these they cant afford to buy inferior product from people I'd think. From the pictures I don't think either coin would grade Pr70 and with this item they both really should. Maybe this set is a set pieced together of 69s that they know won't hit PR70. If you can return it I would especially if you paid any more than the issue price for it.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I returned the item. The tough thing is that most of the listings on Ebay are stock photos so you can't look at the coins directly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4864 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would NEVER sell any coin on Ebay using a stock photo unless it's a sealed set...then I would use a stock photo with explanation to show the contents but there would still be a pic of the actual sealed set
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would NEVER sell any coin on Ebay using a stock photo unless it's a sealed set...then I would use a stock photo with explanation to show the contents but there would still be a pic of the actual sealed set

I have passed on many Ikes because of stock photos and/or things sold in quantity. "Five available." I want to see what I am buying! Ugh.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4864 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops...good point. I have listed BIN's of multiple available items like silver proof sets or sealed Dollar sets etc. and offered a pic of one of the sets...so....graded and raw single coins have appropriate pics but items with quantity more than one have a representative pic..but not a stock pic
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few listings I have come across did show a photo for each of the five (or however many) available. The description requested the buyer make their preference on the order (FCFS).
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's what I'm going to do when I purchase the set. I just got the refund for the other set, too. I'll request photos this time of hopefully the set I'll get.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: I did purchase a second set and it looks great! I'm very pleased to have it in my collection!
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats on getting a set you are happy with. I love it when a plan comes together!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 676Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05