Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With The 1878-CC VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  2:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, everyone. Just reaching out for assistance on this coin...

How does the VAM work? Can multiple VAMS exist on a single coin?

Thanks for the assistance

1) I cannot find a VAM with Tripled Eyelid or Quadrupled Eyelid, since there are 3 lines infront of the eye?

2) VAM 15 is the Spiked Lip

3) LIBERTY - 'L' with 2 lines/gouges; 'IB' with 1 line of die gouge underneath, 'I' top bar on a hook of die gouge

More pics:

Edited by sosicoin
07/07/2020 4:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9314 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct with your VAM-15 attribution. Although it is not mentioned you can click on the obverse image to enlarge it and make out the lines in front of the eye.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Dave700x. I do not understand your statement,
Quote:
it is not mentioned you can click on the obverse image to enlarge it and make out the lines in front of the eye.

Can you teach me how to execute what you just said?

What I did was simply take a picture of the eye using my microscope. Is my microscope faulty? I also did not mention that there seemed to be like a gouge or die break at the corner of the eye. the lower eyelid seemed to be doubled, too. If you know of a better microscope to take close up pics, please let me know.

Thanks for your response.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9314 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have been more explicit in my reply. On the VAM-15 page the lines at the eye are not mentioned in the obverse description as a die marker but if you scroll down to the full coin image you can click on the obverse image 3 times to enlarge it and just make out the lines you captured in the image of your example.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Dave700x.

I looked at various dates and mints for doubled eyelid/eye and found these in 1878 7TF VAM 166 Tripled Eye: 1878 8TF VAM 14.9 Tripled Eyelid: 1878 VAM 14.11 Wild Eye. But no mention of 1878-CC 7TF relating to the coin I have.

Other years of mintage-1887 VAM 12 Alligator Eye: 1888 VAM 18 Doubled Eyelid.

Can multiple VAMs exist in one single coin? Since you already mentioned that my coin qualifies for VAM 15, can this coin qualify for attribution for another possible VAM not included in the 1878-CC 7TF?

Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the 1878-CC VAM 15 eye per your suggestion but there were no lines like the coin I have.

My coin look like the eye in the 1878 VAM 14.9 8TF tripled eyelid. Is it possible that the 1878 8TF and the 1878-CC 7TF used the same obverse working dies but the Reverse working dies used were different?

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9314 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1878 anything was possible. Look and see if your coin has the two vertical die gouges to the north east of the bear claw in the images under the description "Not documented elsewhere, There are two parallel, vertical die gouges in Liberty's hair" (14.9)
I tend to believe that the lines in front of the eye is just a similar die artifact as '78 has been heavily studied but you never know...

You have a good eye for detail.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
07/07/2020 8:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the nice words, dave700x.

I looked at the bear claw as you indicated. It took me a while researching where it was located. Lol. I need to study the Morgan anatomy to familiarize myself.

In response to your statement,
Quote:
"Not documented elsewhere, There are two parallel, vertical die gouges in Liberty's hair" (14.9)
:

There are die gouges in the bear claw but not in the same location as the 14.9 (PCGS[3 eye lines] has a different anatomy compared to that 14.9 of the VAMWorld [2 eye lines]).

My coin die gouges are more distal than the gouges of VAMWorld's 14.9.

Bear Claw die gouges pix:

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05