Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 17,486Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
787 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't run into any yet, but my daughter tells me they are aware of them at her Canadian Tire store. Got stung with a roll. Central Ontario region. She said the Manager just fluffed it off. She knows what to look for and is spreading the news. One of these days, they will get caught.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
893 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also went through my change jars, had 226 toonies and found none.
Probably because I haven't added to it since COVID started.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, those started to be found around oct, nov dec 2020
Edited by Castor sous
04/11/2021 1:39 pm
Valued Member
Canada
467 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Nickelsguy (MM). I will be going out later today to do my shopping, and will spread the word, and show the pictures. I have already alerted the stores that I shop at.
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tip: try only accepting steel canadian toonies when possible because those have security features.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
541 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 2012, 13 and 14 fakes that circulate in the Tyranto area. I had the opportunity to examine 1, 2 and 1 respectively.

Nope I don't have any.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty.....wanna share the markers?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
541 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Main marker is the badly struck elements of the security circles.

Another marker that needs more attention to be seen is the virtual absence of "3D maple leaf" inside the band on top of the reverse. But this has to be carefully evaluated as legitimate tWoonies (yes, with a W) do not have this security device well struck.

Sorry, no pictures
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi t.y. is it possible thatthey don't have edge lettering ?
Edited by Castor sous
04/15/2021 12:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
541 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The (14) serrations were weak. I only saw 4 coins - no lettering - not enough to affirm one way or another.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks t_y
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks eh!
Valued Member
Canada
467 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A silly question, but I will ask it anyways. Are all of these counterfeits non-magnetic? That is an easy test. I have a pocket LED light, with a magnet at the end. I am pretty sure that the counterfeits are not attracted to magnets, but would like confirmation. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
541 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ring: magnetic
Core: non-magnetic

If you can't attract them to your magnet there may be something wrong with the flashlight.
Edited by t_y
04/16/2021 3:26 pm
Valued Member
Canada
467 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good $2 coins are all attracted to a magnet- my little one can pick up 5 from a pile at once, so it is a good test for forgeries, I think. Just wanted to check if the forgeries are magnetic, and the edges of the 1996- 2006 forgeries, which I have seen nothing about.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 193 / Views: 17,486Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05