Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 190 / Views: 16,734Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4705 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So who is responsible for protecting our coins ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if anyones still taking count but I found my first fake in change yesterday in Ajax ON.
2005 it is magnetic and weighs 7.3 grams.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bill. That is the first @ 7.3 2005 I have heard of.......
Pillar of the Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just put it into a 2X2 and noticed a 20-25 degree rotation to the left also.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
157 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found 15 to 20 in the last 3 weeks here in Markham just stopped looking for them. I feel guilty for not pulling them from circulation but can't lose that kind of money to keep them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could not agree more. I too have stopped searching rolls. There are simply too many in circulation. The biggest problem is, it is only people like us that are searching for them. No one else seems to care.
Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got an entire roll of counterfeit toonies (various years) from a bank in Markham. I'd found one coin before but this was a (fake) treasure trove. I was wondering what to do (should I report it) but based on the comments on this thread, it sounds like that will fall on deaf ears.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. Really interesting thread. I would appreciate help in obtaining examples of these, if someone is willing to help me. (I am from the States) I would appreciate good quality examples of the current variety as well as the 'Montreal Mint' variety mentioned. I would be glad to reimburse for them and mailing. Thank you for any assistance.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  06:38 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CanadianPennyman. Wow. That is Interesting. Can you share images of the 02 and 06 please? Letme guess BMO?

Edited by nickelsguy
05/04/2021 08:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Keep politics out of the forums, satirical or otherwise. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3880 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe time for the Government to look into changing the design
and composition of the $2 coin , as happened with the UK and the counterfeit
1 Pound coin problem they had .
I myself would prefer bringing back the $2 bank note .
Made of polymer probably almost as cost effective as the Toonie .
Clearly something has to be done !
Got my first counterfeit here in the Fraser valley last week .
Valued Member
Canada
157 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Penny man what part of Markham you in. I'll stay away from banks in your area. I'm at Markham and 16 th
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Interesting update.......The Banks in Trenton are now checking EVERY toonie being deposited and CONFISCATING all counterfeit coins found! A new friend drove 4hrs to get 4 boxes here today. They literally opened every roll of 2 boxes he deposited and had none to sell him. As the authorities have done absolutely nothing.....the Banks have spread the fakes......now the average Joe and small business is gonna get messed up! No warning months ago.....now Joe Public is going to bear the brunt!
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Proof Nut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your story nickelsguy. Just picked up a box of toonies in Kitchener (not machine wrapped) and am curious if they have been picked through but will find out soon enough.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1312 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see one way of stopping this. However, everyone has to play ball here. It is not even all that complicated.
Fact is this:
1 Mail to any MP is free and does not require a stamp to be sent.
2 someone write a letter requesting the MP's to bring forward a program that every $2 coin will be exchanged by any bank for real $2's, because as of NOW the toonies will be invalid!!!!
3 this program will be funded by the Government and the banks will get a commission.
4 The time this can be done will end at a predetermined time/date and will not be extended.
5 This way, whoever does not like the toonies can return them and, if the Forgers aer trying to dump their stock.... they will be cought or keep sitting on worthless stock

just saying... maybe you guys have a better suggestion

a list of all MPs' is available. just think if all members here and others will send the same letter to ALL MP's... the would act so fast and do something....
so, who will write the letter and post it for all to copy it?
the latter will need your personal name as sender.
so who can do the math?
There are 338 MP's and 102 senators = 440
so each member here will write 440 letters,and send these free of postage.
This would mean each member here would send 440 letters and each SEN (useless figure heads anyway) and MP would get 440 x # of members letters...all about the same subject.... problem solved?
they would do something!
Edited by 47P7
05/05/2021 11:11 am
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 190 / Views: 16,734Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05