Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,564Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polymer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a 1996 fake toonie in change the other day. The coin on the left is genuine. The weight of the fake coin is 7.1 grams (the genuine $2 coins I weighed ranged from 7.24 to 7.38 grams, most being 7.30 grams).

Valued Member
Canada
358 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Proof Nut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing givemean95 and welcome to the community!

Though I don't think you mentioned it, you would have been obligated to turn the forgeries over and subject to the same regulations governing counterfeit bills.

Just received my digital version of Canadian Coin News the other day and noticed it made page 18 of Volume 58 #10. Nothing in the newspapers so far.

The security features added in 2012 were long overdue especially after they shut down the operation in Montreal and are much harder to duplicate. I would almost bet dollars to doughnuts that there have to be many more circulating out there to make the effort worthwhile.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...eal-1.607555

I once found a 2005 counterfeit toonie with an X on it a number of years ago but have since misplaced or spent it by accident. You could almost immediately tell there was something off about it if you looked close enough.

Some of the maple leaves on the ones in the pictures look pretty bad and the rims are not quite right. Hopefully the RCMP and RCM will look at this seriously as they did in 2006. We never found out how many were released into circulation or if the Mint recovered them all.

The 'Moron' referred to in the video clip could very well be an unsuspecting customer who purchased a roll of coins from a bank. During the early weeks and months of the Pandemic, I am sure most would gladly have accepted rolled coins in large quantities rather than have to place an order for new stock. Everyone had more time on their hands and the piggy bank makes a good target when funds are low!

What a wonderful way to make productive use of one's lock down time during the pandemic when pocket change is in short supply due to the more widespread use of debit and credit cards and limited use of cash!

Counterfeit circulation coins are small potatoes compared to banknotes but they still add up and the end result is the same. Businesses pay far less attention to them but are out of pocket if the fakes are discovered, very rare as that may be.

Fortunately and perhaps working against the counterfeiters is that any circulation coins made with pure nickel are being culled and melted down, so finding shiny new examples of the pre-security toonies may raise some suspicion. I for one as a result of this thread, will pay closer attention to my change than I already do before spending it.
Edited by Proof Nut
07/29/2020 8:38 pm
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are a new effort.

I am sure that they are not the forgeries of the 2004-2005 Montreal group. These forgeries seem, from the pictures, to have some roughness in the fields, where the Montreal ones have a slightly different polish, but not bad fields. These seem better engraved than the 2004-2005 counterfeits, which have definite curves where the lettering meets the fields. I cannot tell from the pictures what the elevation of the designs is, but some of them look better than the shallowness of the bear on the older 2005 copy, which I saw a few months ago, for the first time in my life.

The sound of these is completely different from both the 2004-2005 counterfeits and the original genuine coins. The 2004-5 copies have almost the same sound as the genuine ones, missing only the highest bright sound of the genuine coins. These have the thud of a normal counterfeit, which, I believe, is made by casting. (I should note that I am a professional musician.) (The surface suggests that the "new" counterfeits may be casts, as there seem to be little raised and pocked marks on the surface.)

The O's of the date seem to be a little off- one side is almost straight, the other squished curved. The OO of the 2002 are somewhat thinner, as well as the curved 6 of 2006. The obverse legend on the 2006 forgery is a little closer to the rim, and the Maple leaf is much closer to the rim- almost touching it.

They are certainly good enough to fool a lot of people. Thanks for the information. I will share this with the money-handlers that I meet in my normal days.
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IS there any information about the edge, and the thickness of the counterfeit coins? The 2005 that I saw has rifling around the whole edge, and then it was filed down in parts, but not very well.

I am just guessing now, but I think the coin is probable lead, tin,and/or zinc, and coated, or electroplated, with the shiny surface. I think the coating is probably thin, resulting in the blackish wear areas. The magnified pictures seem to suggest that the coins are cast in moulds, rather than struck, although I may be wrong.

Details in the hair and jewellery are not quite correct.
I have notified 4 stores in Vancouver about these problem pieces.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  07:06 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spotted a fake 1996 this week, same as the one posted above. The dead giveaway is the maple leaf isn't even correctly straight. It's wavy and crooked and doesn't look like the official maple leaf. At first I thought I'd scored a German planchet. Also the polar bear has details on it as if it were just minted yesterday. Doesn't sound dull like older counterfeits were.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,564Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05