Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 329 / Views: 31,284Next Topic
Page: of 22
Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cameltoetoonies site estimates there are $5 Million dollars worth of the counterfeits in circulation. To me, that is a big profit, and big business.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have thought there was more then 5million$ worth of these toonies, though it seems a large bulk of them hit Ontario, especially in the GTA.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still wishing a couple examples of the different varieties of these would accidentally end up in my change :)

Edited by smuglr
09/16/2021 6:41 pm
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been very actively searching and so far 2 out of 6 varieties a CT05 and CT02 with hit rate of 0.006% They have been easy to pick out since they still have a lot of luster.

I was in Peru a few years ago. All of the Scotia Bank ATMs that I went to gave me brand new bills. If you exchange USD to Soles and the USD was not in AU or better they will refuse it. At the stores the cashiers check each and every coin and banknote. They flip, tilt and feel it. That's what happens when a country is flooded with counterfeits.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Madmax8991 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As anybody ever seen this 2008 its most likely a fake due to the look of it and the mint logo is not right but nobody that talk to doesn't know anything about it. Its not magnetic the sound it makes when I drop it on my counter doesn't sound anything at all like the other fakes I have...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3910 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fake. Use the archive here to search for "counterfeit toonies". There's all kind of info.. Here is the best one:

https://cameltoetoonies.ca/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that toonie looks horrible, does not look like the cameltoe toonie, maybe one of the older fakes?
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Madmax8991 can you post some more information about where you got the coin. Which city?

It definitely looks fake but it is much worse quality than the Montreal Mint Toonies and the Camel Toe Toonies.

It is NOT listed on the camel toe toonie website and I would be most interested in learning more about it. Do you have a weight?
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No info on these 08' Toonies on that site. Will BOLO.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
128 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 2008 Toonie has been reported also on a Facebook group few months ago, but I don't think that the counterfeit is confirmed yet.

But, I agree that the Mint Mark looks strange.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3910 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bear's feet and body don't look right either.
Valued Member
Canada
281 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ear is the big giveaway for me. But I agree with Okie, the second most obvious is the bears body and feet.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1641 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The queen almost looks like she is crying. Never seen one of these before
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Putting my face out here, ready to be slapped. The 2008 is not a fake - it is an impaired PL.
Learn More...
Canada
9889 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Putting my face out here, ready to be slapped. The 2008 is not a fake - it is an impaired PL.

The original post says that it is not magnetic. And, it does not look like silver...

A PL (impaired or otherwise) would still be attracted to a magnet.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 22 Previous TopicReplies: 329 / Views: 31,284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05