Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 435 / Views: 41,973Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seldom use cash but around half the time I've gotten a fake.

Once at finch station, once at sheppard west station and today I got one from a sushi take out place in markham.

These things have gotten out of hand. If only the police acted when we first reported these things...they are now everywhere.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First one I've come across in a while, just from the hasty market my my apartment.

Edit: it's a 2002, forgot to post both sides.
Edited by Wrekkdd
11/14/2021 11:42 am
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received this 2005 yesterday at the local Foodland. It has a few obvious die markers as seen on another 2005 posted on page 3 of this thread. Had to clean the coffee stains off it.

Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BWJM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be what I catalogue as "Excess Die Metal." If you look closely, you will likely also find die crack CT05-3 on the obverse and probably die crack F1 on the reverse. Check out CamelToeToonies.ca for details and images.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4129 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the red-circled marks on the Obverse are recessed or incuse, so they aren't die cracks. Die cracks would be raised, not incuse.
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BWJM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe anyone suggested those were die cracks. Go to CamelToeToonies.ca and click on the page for Excess Die Metal for my explanation.
Valued Member
Canada
413 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SelectCoinCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you will likely also find die crack CT05-3 on the obverse and probably die crack F1 on the reverse.

Thanks BWJM, I studied the die crack on the website and I just can't see it on my coin. Maybe an early die state

Quote:
It looks like the red-circled marks on the Obverse are recessed or incuse

They are raised, terrible lighting.

Valued Member
Canada
111 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these two circle things are tool damage produced on the die(incuse) and transfered on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These things have gotten out of hand. If only the police acted when we first reported these things...they are now everywhere.

Yup. Considering when the fakes first surfaced, it amazes me this discussion thread is still going strong in Nov 2021.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I talked to my bank about it yesterday and they said they were told not to worry about it or look for them . That was from cooperate. They said it's not there job to identify these fakes, so the banks and businesses continue to circulate these fakes and no one is really pulling them from circulation as it would be a loss of profit for them. Not sure how they will be removed from circulation based on the numbers. If .5% of all the toonies minted for the years these fakes were found that would be hundreds of millions of dollars and it seems no one would be willing to take that kind of loss.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2524 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got another fake today In Hampton at the LCBO in Jackson square. Told them it was fake and that I wanted a new one, they were really confused and questioned me about the fakes so I explained.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
19135 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeit coin found in circulation .
1952-2002 Canada.
2 Dollars

Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BWJM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
City and province where it was found please?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
19135 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
City and province where it was found please?

City of Dorval,Quebec,Canada
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1915 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brand new reverse die....bare backed bear
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 435 / Views: 41,973Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: