Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 436 / Views: 42,291Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one I received at the LCBO was the 1952-2002. But all my fakes are from Hamilton Ontario.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
515 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankfully they still haven't figured out the cameltoe foot part of it.
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Edited by coinman91
11/30/2021 6:53 pm
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received a 2004 in Ottawa. Just noticed it in my change today. Can't remember where I would have got it.
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zears99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello again my sis works retail downtown toronto, ive been asking her for rolls in exchange just to see wats going on in area , ive been finding alot more 2007 fake toonies and they look pretty convincing
Valued Member
Canada
449 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am quite sure that the camel toe was placed on purpose by the counterfeiters. It would be to identify so that they don't end up with their own fakes back.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ShareBear. On a scale of this magnitude it would make no sense to add such an obvious marker.
Valued Member
Canada
242 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my first fake 2007 in Markham today. It's really good almost didn't see that it was fake. I didn't know that they faked the 2007s until I read the latter posts on here
Pillar of the Community
Canada
515 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still have yet to see an 07 but I'm sure it wont be long now.
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
515 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found another 2002 from Tim Hortons again lol. No clashes or cracks unfortunately but useless all the same!
RCNA Member

Edited by coinman91
12/17/2021 4:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I manage to catch these as they are given to me in my change and I tell the store that I don't want it and want another one and explain that it's fake and how to tell. Today I was a bit more careless and got a 2007 fake in my change at some point and didn't realize. Now I have three fakes all different years and nothing to do with them but have then sit on my desk. The RCMP are at my work regularly, I asked once if I was supposed to hand these into them and they said and I quote "I can't tell that it's fake, but if you want us to take your money we will". I didn't know how to respond so I just laughed and said that's fine and walked away. I'm actually curious if it's possible the fakes are still being forged and put into circulation, every time I have seen one it looks brand new.
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BWJM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no reason to believe that production of these counterfeits has ceased. There seem to be more and more in circulation as time goes on. COVID isn't the only pandemic we're dealing with.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just need to be more careful. I don't want to end up with a bunch of fake toonies that the law, and my ethics won't allow me to do anything with. I'm not even sure it's legal for me to own them knowing they are fake but the local RCMP don't seem to care. Last thing I want to happen is turn them into an officer and they just go and put it back into circulation. Blah... If I stamp the coin or carve fake into the coins are they then legal to own lol? Serious question actually.
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BWJM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the letter of the law, it is illegal to possess counterfeit coins.

There are some exceptions, none of which I expect would apply to you so they're not worth discussing. Stamping "COPY" or whatever is irrelevant and doesn't make it legal. The recommended course of action is to turn your fakes in to the police and let them deal with it. However, with the obvious ambivalence of law enforcement in this matter, why bother, particularly for small quantities? If you found a whole box of them, that's another matter.

So we're back to the question of what to do with them. Find a buddy with one of those backyard forge things and melt them down.
w6EP4FjbnXA

Skip ahead to 6:22.

Seriously, I'd love to find someone with a forge like this.
Edited by BWJM
12/28/2021 3:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2530 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, and ya I am not an exception. As the local police have no interest in them I just don't know what to do. And when I said stamp copy or replicate on the coin to make it legal I didn't mean it would make it legal to use or anything I simply meant like modern replicas if you put replica on the coin or fake or w.e then it's at least legal to own as it would no longer be considered a modern contemporary counterfeit after you labeled it as non real currency. I doubt I have to worry about the RCMP busting into my apartment and charging me for owning a few of these modern fakes.

Anyways, maybe if I get a few more(by accident) I'll pop the cores out and make a necklace lol.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1915 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
even stamping them fake or counterfeit does not allow you to own fake coins.
Page: of 30 Previous TopicReplies: 436 / Views: 42,291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: