Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Toonies Are Going To Be A Significant Problem

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 291 / Views: 25,750Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Both! Sammeli I tried to pm you but you have it turned off. MM
Valued Member
Canada
188 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow and I thought you didn't want them. So how do I turn it on. Not sure how. I always thought it was on
Learn More...
Canada
9788 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need 250 'quality' posts, to contact (or be contacted) by members of CCF.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Sammeli, in Markham ON,
1996, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 Basically all of the years.

Like I have posted before, I believe the counterfeit operation is based in Markham. We have a large Chinese population in this city and the people caught using full rolls of these counterfeits in our store have been Chinese (like myself). I believe the coins are being distributed by some Chinese organized crime group based here.

It is where these coins were first spotted and it is in this city where I can go to work and pop open all the cash registers in my store and you will find these coins with startling frequency.
Edited by wilsonwu89
03/09/2021 4:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you WW! Your input is greatly appreciated! MM
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, FYI in Gatineau Ottawa region, in my last batch of 2 dollars 1% of theme were Fake(20 out of 2000).
Edited by Castor sous
03/11/2021 4:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found a fake 1996 in Etobicoke yesterday. Looked almost brand new as if it just came from the mint.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Castor sous and Darryl! Appreciate the data.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cameroonian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are basically impossible to spot for anyone who's not specifically looking. And even then. Wow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  05:23 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are easy to spot if you ARE looking.
Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check for- oily surface sheen; new appearing, but old dates; sandy surface; colour of surface; problems in details- numbers 6,9, 0, head of queen- both relief and details, right front "hoof" of polar bear; maple leaf; sound when rung on a wood surface- a thud, not a ringing tone;
If you want to get picky, have a genuine 1996, and a genuine 2004-06 in your pocket; carry a pocket magnifier. Check for layout of the overall coin, and specific details.

for the Loonie- carry a genuine 2012, check the security circle for details, the island and tail of the loon, the details of the dots around the edges, details of the head, overall appearance. Check the surfaces, sound, and always, details.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just check to bears foot....very easy
Valued Member
Canada
256 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Double J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got 4 rolls from BMO at Lawrence and Birchmount and was shocked how many I got in those rolls. 1996, 2002, 2005 and 2006. When I get a chance I will try and post a pic on one of the 1996 ones...it was newer looking but it was different than the other fakes 1996.

Is it weird that I put the best conditioned one of each year and started making a set?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1847 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what did you do with the rest? Pics please
Valued Member
Canada
256 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Double J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not the best with pics but will try when I get a chance. I have them all still.
Page: of 20 Previous TopicReplies: 291 / Views: 25,750Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05