Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983-P Jefferson Nickel Cud And A Half?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  09:43 am Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the Cuds-On-Coins web page and saw that a cud error coin that I have later developed a second cud. The coin I have is listed as CU-5c-1983P-12. In this image you can see two die cracks that could be the start of CU-5c-1983P-13. While they don't match the shape of the second cud exactly, they are very close and cuds are known to "grow" as they continue to strike coins after the die breaks.

Here's a link to the page with the image of cuds 12 and 13. http://cuds-on-coins.com/jefferson-...l-cuds-1983/

What do you think? Does this coin show the developing second cud?

All comments are welcome!

Click on the picture for a larger image
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
5287 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think your coin has to be an EDS of the 12/13.

Very nice example btw..
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4487 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wonderful example as well. A great error.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More like MDS. It real hard to tell on the nickels because the reverse have such weak designs from worn master hubs.

The obverse is VEDS and the reverse is a EMDS. These dies were at the point of striking less than 100 coins at this point. The poor master hub only creates poor dies and hubs down the line. You see this a lot on the nickel reverses.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/08/2020 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My non-professional opinion, that's the backside of where the cud is and just a result of the displaced metal, less pressure on the reverse of the strike in that area. You can see it to a lesser extent on the picture in the link also. L It's not showing development of the cud on the obverse in the k5 to k6 position.

I don't see cud 13 on you obverse image at all. Scratch, cracks maybe, no cud. Possible it's CU-5c-1983P-12 only? It's not a cud until it's a cud really.

You can always ask Fred Weinberg since thats his pic's on the website. He's still alive and around and in business. I've emailed him and chatted with him on other website forums about different errors over the last decade+ nice guy and will answer when he has time and help to classify it.

It's not quite the 03 *edited its NOT 03* and could be the 12 in my non-professional opinion. But maybe it's 12, or a new one not listed yet.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/10/2020 07:36 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05