Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indo-Scythian Penta-Chalkon Of Azilises

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 337Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
23137 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  8:34 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's been a very long time since I posted any new coins here, I've been on a break from collection and working on other hobbies. Well I think it's time to get back into coins again. Thanks to my good friend Kevin I have been able to pick up some nice coins, most are English hammered which I'll be posting later.

This one however is an Indo-Scythian AE Penta-Chalkon of Azilises. It's a bit difficult to tell the difference between Azilises and Azes there coins are so similar, however by the addition of another mint mark I am mostly certain it is Azilises.

The legend on this coin is off the flan with only a few letters in Greek and Kharoshthi remaining.

Greek legend:ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΖΙΛΙΣΟΥ
Kharoshthi Legend: Maharajasa rajarajasa mahatasa Ayilisas.

AE Penta-chalkon
Azilises 57-35 BC
21 x 22mm square.
10.7 grams
Taxilia mint.
Mitch Type 807

Pillar of the Community
United States
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, good to see you posting a coin, Ron. And an Eastern one at that. Neat addition. Looks to be in good shape, with a nice rendition of the bull.

Learn More...
United States
23137 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob, it's time to get back up on the horse again.
Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick-up Ron!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
23137 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5923 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice - the Indian soil is not kind to the bronze alloys used during this period, so a very exceptionally well preserved specimen!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1931 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
......That's a good looking coin Ron..Nice patina!
Great to see you posting a coin again....Paul
Learn More...
United States
23137 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing this thread with the rather nice Penta-Chalkon of Azilises coin, reminded me that I have a couple of square coins that I have never been sure of. If this one is what it purports to be, it could be a coin of the Indo-Greek King Archebios.

Baktria, Indo-Greek Kings. Archebios. Circa 90-80 BC. AE 22 mm (7.5 gr). Elephant walking right / Owl standing facing; monogram below.

Until I read this thread I didn't realise that the legend was in a different language on each side. I thought the legend on the owl reverse looked a bit odd compared to the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Jim. Interesting, canvas-like texture on that obverse. Here's Coinindia's Archebios page...there are a few of the elephant/owl varieties if you scan down:
http://coinindia.com/galleries-archebios.html

Learn More...
United States
23137 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice coin, well struck with full legends. Greek and Kharosthi and ancient Indian language used mostly in Bactria and by the Kushan empire in in areas of central Asia

Valued Member
United Kingdom
300 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you Bob, there are some really nice coins on that page.

Quote:
Greek and Kharosthi an ancient Indian language used mostly in Bactria and by the Kushan empire in in areas of central Asia

Thank you for the info @echizento. I'll add that to the document describing the coin. I hadn't come across a coin with a legend in Kharosthi before.

The coin below is another that has been in the box for a long time. Wildwinds gives the following description: Baktria, Indo-Scythian Kings. Spalirises, associated with Spalagdames. Early 1st Century BC. King on horseback right / Herakles seated left on rocks, monogram before.

The coin is copper/bronze, 21 x 20 mm, and weighs 6.2 gr.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5099 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin, Jim.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05