Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Grading Verdict Of This 1900 Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  2:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been offered this, what do we think from the photos provided?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49601 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics of both sides with much more light on the surfaces would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9376 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Coinfrog said, the images are inadequate for grading. It's a common date Morgan that would need to be gem level to bring any premium over a low MS type coin. I grade it $40 retail if asking my opinion from those images.

Here's a nice example of a 1900-P Morgan in MS63 ( PCGS OGH) that brought $52 recently. https://www.davidlawrence.com/product/1924946/
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on the need for better photos. I can see some nice clash marks on the reverse, though. With better pics, we may be able to grade it and point you toward a possible VAM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4113 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to tell from photos but my inclination would be to say MS details, altered surfaces. Something looks off. Possibly polished.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very difficult with this lighting to determine surface preservation. the lighting is making look like it had a polish. I'm thinking its just lighting and angle
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first photos hide a lot of marks that can be seen in the photo of it on the scale. Pass on a grade without better photos.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I have asked for better photos with more light but not had a response, which is never a good sign. I'll post them if I do get more photos. It's at 60 currently so it will have to be quite stunning and have mega luster to warrant the price really.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, seller has responded with some photos. I asked for more light on the coins...Still not bright enough for me.
Not sure these help much.
Lustre looks very good though and very clean fields too.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9007 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the coin is MS. I originally thought it was polished but the 1st new photo of the obverse kind of dispels that. the seller does not know how to take photos as the only one decent enough to judge anything on is the new obverse photo. just based on that photo I'm at MS64
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new photos help some. The eighth photo from the top shows much more obverse detail. The reverse photos still lack the needed detail.

The detailed obverse photo appears to show disruption of luster in the center of the cheek, on the large bear claw, in the hair above the ear, on the ear lobe, and (importantly) possible luster disruption between the tip of the nose and the seventh left star and between the ribbon and the sixth right star and "M" of UNUM. This photo also shows significant contact marks on the cheek, in the hair above the ear, on the forehead and eyebrow.

The pictures still are not clear enough for accurate grading, but what I see in that one photo is enough for me to believe this coin has seen some circulation. I think this may be a mid- or high-AU coin. If so, it would be around a $35 coin.

That's the best I can attempt with the pictures that the seller has made available.

EDIT: @panzaldi is a superb grader, and when we see the same coin this far apart, it speaks volumes about the quality of the photos.
Edited by fortcollins
07/11/2020 4:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9376 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's at 60 currently so it will have to be quite stunning and have mega luster to warrant the price really.

Yes, too high. It looks like a common date slider to me. I wouldn't spend more than $25 USD on it. $30 tops.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the detailed responses. It'll be a pass from me on this one at the current price!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05