Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Total West Points Mints Quarter.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 279 / Views: 7,600Next Topic
Page: of 19
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can go to the us mint site and good at mintages and all of the coins are in line with what they were in previous years. As far as the coins put into circulation that might be a smaller figure due to the pandemic--which I don't know the number...but I a sure you can find them
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldnt those coins be considered BU Uncirculated? I have rolls of Denver mint of 2019 and 2020 NP quarters. I will not open them
W quarters went to the banks. Now I also have rolls of 2005 Buffalo nickels, but I'm not gonna open them either. I would love to have the spears Bisson, but it's like a unopened pack of let's 1952 pack of baseball cards. Open it might be a Mantle rockie, might not. I would save them unless you are going hungry. Another $300 in quarters from the bank and it was a swing and a miss. Guess I will buy them from Etsy off ebay lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first, the W quarters were distributed by the Mint and Federal Reserve to and thru the major armored car services. They are contracted by the Federal Reserve as secure and bonded courier services.

The W quarters were never available from the Mint website nor were any mixed into the PDS rolls sold online by the mint.

Some of the 2019 W issues were bulk sent (large $50000 ballistic bags containing 200,000 coins!) to the armored couriers and were supposed to have been blended in to the P and D issues as coins were rolled by the armored car companies. I don't think that system worked out too well as the actual W distribution was not very even. Some cities received shipments, most did not. Matter-of-fact, in early 2019 some of the the W coins were being mixed in with circulated rolls ands some were being mixed in with BU coins from a different ATB series. (Example - I found BU Massachusetts W coins in BU American Memorial Park D mint rolls!)

Later, to get a more even distribution, the Mint decided the better approach would be to have the W coins mixed into the ballistic bags AT THE MINT before shipment to the armored couriers occurred. Doing it that way would even out the distribution and put a stop to any hanky panky of some dealers/collectors weiseling large quantities of W coins from greedy armored carrier "friends" that had access to the "W" coins! Coins were then more evenly distributed ... especially the 2020 W issues!

All I can say it has been a fun couple of years and brought back a lot of good memories. In total my daughter and I have probably found 250 to 300 W coins. The tough one for us has been the American Memorial Park W. None of those have been found in the wild by us! We are still looking though!
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that reality check westernsky. Very helpful. What's your opinion of the average conditions of those coins you've found so far?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's your opinion of the average conditions of those coins you've found so far?

I'd say the average condition on most of the coins we found would be in the 63 to 64 range. In addition, most of the found coins do have nicks and ticks of some sort. The W coins probably have received at least 2x the handling that P and D coins have received before they hit circulation channels. That's why I think the W's have lower grades.

Seems that most of the damage on the quarters occurred on Washington's face and neck. The Washington side of the coin just has more visible real estate that shows the flaws.

Overall, I think the W quarter program was a shot in the arm to coin collecting. I'm glad they did it.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems that most of the damage on the quarters occurred on Washington's face and neck.

Yes, the high points of the coin.

Quote:
That's why I think the W's have lower grades.

Quote:
Overall, I think the W quarter program was a shot in the arm to coin collecting. I'm glad they did it.

!
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess that explains how rolls of W quarters are being sold on ebay for hundreds.
American memorial is the most sought after and definatly bringing in a higher price. Haven't seen certified MS65 under $70 and uncertified under $30. Lowell's quarter is the cheapest at MS65 for $20.
Bout to go get $300 in quarters again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minimarine....

We searched and searched for the 2019-W Memorial Park quarters and have NEVER found one in the wild. I kept an eye out on eBay and a roll of them showed up on eBay with a 495$ BIN price. I pulled the trigger. At $12.50 a coin I was a happy camper. I ended up selling half the roll a few weeks later for 500$ and recovered my initial investment. I was even more of a happy camper!

I have bought a few single AMP W's on eBay along with a couple of slabbed ones when they show up at a good price.

I think the AMP W was one of the coins that was not widely distributed and they showed up in quantity in just a few cities. The roll I bought came out of the mid-west. In my opinion it is the "key" W quarter so far.

My daughter and I are gonna keep up the search as long as boxes keep yielding results! We enjoy the hunt!
Edited by westernsky
01/25/2021 4:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is this W Guam with no Privy mark and why no Privy? Just pulled from a roll

edited by moderator
to keep language family friendly
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is this W Guam with no Privy mark and why no Privy?

I bet it's a 2019, I can see it from you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2019 W's have no privy mark. They were made that way. Privy's are only on the 2020 coins.
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhhhh ok that cleared it up. Thought they all had the mark. Well at least I got that one from $300 in rolls. Will be my second War in the Pacific.
@westernsky I have a feeling in order for me to complete this set I will have to buy them. There are none under $20 uncertified except Lowell. That is $20 at MS65. Looks like Tall Grass is gonna be a hard one as well. Still havent seen one in D, or P circulation. Sorry bout the bad word.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5820 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minni...

One thing we have adhered to is only searching thru unopened 500$ boxes of machine wrapped rolls. In addition, if we see any signs of tampering, or the rolls have been played with, we resign ourselves that we are probably not gonna find anything worthwhile in those rolls.

Roll hunting requires adaptation, changes and a lot of luck.

My suggestion is to keep searching thru rolls AND keep watching online for bargain W's to show up in the listings. I have been very fortunate to pick a few W's for under 10$ on eBay. It's mostly due to being in the right place at the right time.

Good luck and don't get frustrated or discouraged.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, machine wrapped rolls are the most desirable.... But you always take any rolls you can get your hands on.

I personally would never buy one. I might be selling my lower grade ones though.
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Westernsky I am still looking. Getting alot of Marsh Rockefeller coins now. Doing another $300 tonight. I always ask for a dollar in change when at the stores...
Page: of 19 Previous TopicReplies: 279 / Views: 7,600Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05