Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Total West Points Mints Quarter.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 303 / Views: 11,253Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
1478 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The W's are different looking because...

—-Slight differences in production methods and handling will lead to visible differences in product appearance.

—-They were minted at a different facility some months ago and are added in to newer quarters at the Philadelphia and Denver mints as the newer coins coins are minted, counted and bagged.

—-The older "W" coins will have had more time to be exposed to an oxidation environment.

—-A long ride in the back of a semi truck from the West Point Mint to the Denver or Philadelphia mint will take its toll.

That's my guesses.

Quote:
Yep, all good points.

Plus if you have ever seen a brand new 2020-P and a brand new 2020-D, you will see a major difference in the finish or luster of the coins. Put them both together. The P's look like a satin finish, compared to the "almost" proof like finish of the D's.

My opinion, the visual difference is there on the Ws, compared to P or D, and D is usually superior to P.
West Point's presses are like San Francisco's presses. West Point uses Gräbener GMP 360 presses with dies oriented to strike with vertical motion.

Philadelphia and Denver use Schuler MRH 150 Coining Presses oriented horizontally for speed, average setting is 750 coins a minute for denver or philly, but their top speed is 850 coins a minute per press piston.

the vertical Grabener presses have a setting range of 20-100 coins a minute, they are much slower equipment per press piston.
My opinion, the difference is the press differences on the appearance of the finished product.

I can see the difference between a W quarter in a new roll of P or D quarters by the edge also, it's not that dude's imagination. they stand out, it's like the reeded edge is "sharper" or something.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
02/09/2021 1:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's not that dude's imagination.

You mean it's not MOS0239's imagination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went thru a 500$ machine wrapped rolls box today that the daughter dropped off. All were circ coins.

Found 4 "W" coins .... 2 were Bats, 1 was a War in the Pacific and the other one was a Massachusetts.

This is the most W's I've found in a circ box so far! They are still out there!
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the most W's I've found in a circ box so far! They are still out there!
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1478 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You mean it's not MOS0239's imagination.

yes, what I meant.
Pillar of the Community
United States
957 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pancake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Total Stand a 26 West Points Quarters.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed Gilliland to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far I have found:
1 Lowell
1 War in the Pacific
1 Weir Farm
1 Salt River Bay
Mostly from a car wash in slippery rock pa!
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to give this a try but am wondering what is best to do with the finds? Keep the best and sell the rest? Advice / experience is appreciated.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is awesome. Now all I need is American Memorial Park. If you want to let loose of one PM me.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone know what the mint has up it's sleeve next?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5943 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
does anyone know what the mint has up it's sleeve next?

Not sure, but you can bet it will include a price increase of some sort!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add looped to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hahah---that's funny --probably true---just like everything else out there---everything that goes up must come down
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tuskegee airmen is out, and seems like Washington crossing the Delaware is out. Somewhere, but not hear, and still no regular circulated Tall Grass Prarie quarters yet. I cant even get a roll of any of these quarters yet.
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 303 / Views: 11,253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05