Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Really Like Coins With A Bison!

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 2,151Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2474 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more Bison coin. The Bison must be breeding. They are everywhere

Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to like them until I saw Black Diamond's dismembered head at an ANA convention years ago. There's his reward for being on our coinage ; his head on a platter and his body cut up into steaks to be sold by A. Silz.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used to like them until I saw Black Diamond's dismembered head at an ANA convention years ago. There's his reward for being on our coinage ; his head on a platter and his body cut up into steaks to be sold by A. Silz.

Wickipedia:

Quote:
Sick and disabled at age 22, Black Diamond was put up for auction June 28, 1915. However, no bids were received. It was purchased for slaughter in a private sale for $300 by A. Silz, inc., a game and poultry dealer.[3]

Not wasted. Taxidermist mounted the head, and now we can all see the actual Black Diamond. Hide was not wasted but made into a "13 foot automobile robe."

Personally I would love to see the actual Black Diamond now that I know its possible.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dismembered head is massive. I cried when I thought of the rest of Black Diamond winding up the way he did. Undignified at best, sickening in its greed. Mounted for posterity in his entirety might have been nice for the Smithsonian. A big hole in the ground for his resting place would have been OK too. I'm still sad...
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mounted for posterity in his entirety might have been nice for the Smithsonian.
Or in any other natural history museum, for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2474 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mounted for posterity in his entirety

Hence this thread. He is mounted on coins for prosperity. We will all be dead and Black Diamond will still be on coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for the coins - what is the front of these hfjacinto?

I also agree with freddo that it would have been GREAT for us to be able to go and see him mounted entirely in one place.

I just do not personally know of all of the details the owner and others were facing at the time so I cannot judge greed etc. I have to wonder if there was any interest in a museum to buy him or not? Taxidermy is expensive work - especially on something this large. Since the hide was used, it seems there was value placed upon the hide, but not by someone who could wanted to afford to have the entire animal stuffed. I wonder if there is an account of al this. Might make some interesting reading!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hence this thread. He is mounted on coins for prosperity. We will all be dead and Black Diamond will still be on coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2474 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what is the front of these hfjacinto?

That is the native american commemorative.

Edited by hfjacinto
09/14/2020 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I want to look into getting those.
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a bison coin you haven't shown!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2474 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's actually a Buffalo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, the irony.
Learn More...
United States
90945 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a bison coin you haven't shown!

Quote:
That's actually a Buffalo.

Quote:
Oh, the irony.

Nice example, nonetheless!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 2,151Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05