Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS Coin Series And Coin #?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 352Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10615 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  8:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On some of the older PCGS slab labels, I notice "Series" and "Coin" designations on the front. For instance the 1974 Ike I just got in the mail has "Series: 103" and "Coin: 10" on it.

Does anyone know why PCGS stopped doing this? I looked around the PCGS web site but only found an archive of all their old label styles, not any explanation as to why they originally added that data and then subsequently removed it.

And is there a table of all the Series & Coin numbers out there?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3043 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure, but I believe it was bulk submissions, where someone submitted multiples of the same coin..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10615 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For reference here's the holder I was talking about. It appears to be a Generation 4.2 holder.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8112 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's kind of hard to explain, but the series number refers to the series' place in US coins. For example, 1793 Half Cents are series 1. The coin number refers to the specific date's place in the series. In the case of Ike dollars, the 1971 is coin 1 and, 1971-D is coin 2, and so on.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16908 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was something PCGS used internally and they hoped it would catch on with the general collecting public. It didn't. PCGS introduced them to the slab labels around Oct 1998 and dropped them in Nov 2005. They only come on two different holder generations that were used for regular coinage. Celtics' coin is from the second generation (roughly Feb 2002 to Nov 2005). The first type has the barcode on the back label.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10615 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, all. That make sense. I guess I can see where they were going with that, but it seems to me that knowing it's a 1974 Eisenhower dollar is specific enough. Adding "Series: 103 Coin:10" is just redundant so why add another classification system?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16908 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2020  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's worse is it is a THIRD classification system. You see that 7415 at the front of the serial number? This is yet another code that indicates the coin, series, date/mint etc. This is another number that was unique to PCGS and at one time they actually wanted people to include that PCGS number on their submission forms, but they didn't make it mandatory and eventually everyone pretty much forgot about it. But PCGS still uses it internally. This is the look up table of PCGS numbers for the Ike dollar.

https://www.PCGS.com/PCGSnolookup/i...1971-1978/31
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10615 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't even considered that. The Series: Coin: thing makes even less sense now!

Thanks for the PCGS numbers lookup.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was not properly set up ; at least as far as classic commemoratives were concerned. A 144 piece set should have been numbered 1 through 144. Instead, they wound up with hieroglyphics like "9H" etc. Clumsy and disorderly. Mixing numerals and alphabet is non compus mentus. Leave that for algebra, not catalogue purposes. No wonder it failed to catch on.
Edited by freddo30
08/15/2020 1:08 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05