Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Collecting Software - Any Recommendations?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,920Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BriHeller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the two biggest / most well know software programs out there are

Coin Manager, by Liberty Street https://www.libertystreet.com/Coin-...oftware.htm, and
Coin Collector's Assistant by Carlisle Development http://www.carlisledevelopment.com/...for-mac.html

Both appear to have mac and windows versions and companion phone apps, I believe.

Many people also just use homemade excel spreadsheets.

I'm considering buying one of the two above, but have not tried either one yet. Any users with pros, cons, comparisons?
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1054 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't checked recently, but I believe the Liberty Street software does not support Mac.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8087 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday the ANA had a new e-learning seminar covering this topic over zoom. It is the last seminar listed on this page titled: "Documenting Your Collection: Motives and Methods for Keeping Records of Your Collection"

https://info.money.org/elearning-re...cd4aaf8f3e82

It should be available soon on their YouTube channel keep checking back it usually takes them 10-14 days to get it posted after editing. Instructor Tim Ferreira covered most of these software packages and rolling your own, reasons why we all need to do this and covered everything from record keeping using a plain old paper notebook to online cloud storage. It was basic but still good.

I myself roll my own as my collections are quite different than most. I collect primarily one series of coin ( Two Cent Pieces) and have hundreds if not thousands of them that all need records kept showing very slight variations between each of them with photographs and accessible online or offline on mobile devices for use at coin shows. So I write my own Filemaker Pro databases, not ideal but works for me, others I know build with excel or Open Office, which is harder to learn, but much more flexible in the long run.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dgbisset to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a newbie, recording coins in a spreadsheet, can someone give me pointers as to what they record for each coin?

Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My original sheets have:

Year, Mint, Variety (when necessary), Value, Date (found or purchased), Paid, Grade, Notes (where bought or found, known provenance, etc.)

When I started collecting graded Ikes I altered the columns for that sheet:

Year, Mint, Variety, Value, Purchased (date), Paid, Grade, TPG (PCGS, NGC, etc), Registration (number on slab), Seller (where I bought).
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Synozeer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use OpenNumismat. It's free, still updated, and works on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's also easy to use and customizable.

https://opennumismat.github.io/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,920Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05