Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weak Tail Feathers On The Washington Quarters? Why?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 185Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45712 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  01:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My brain is always questioning why, why, why on subjects. I knew that the type 'C' Denver quarters had a difference in strength of the tail feathers. So I decided to check into the first year these quarters came out to see how strong there were back then. The 1932-1936 examples showed the issue that I noticed on the 1964 quarters. Even the proof quarter that year (which is a type 'A' proof) and all the business strikes pretty much showed the same issues on all the way till 1964. Wondering what was going on, so I found that the 1937 proof reverse is a type 'B' reverse. So the type 'B' started that year. But looking forwards on the proof coins, they were strong sometimes and even on the 1940 proofs I found weak and strong proof examples. Also through the years you would find weak/medium/strong tail feathers up till 1964. So looking at the feathers, I noticed the at they were not the only thing affected. The leaves on that area was also affected on the weak examples and not affected on the strong tail feathers. So I figured out that the issue was die polishing must weaken that design first as it is the most shallow part of that design. So now I know what happened. (but that is how you figure things out) Shake the tree and see if the apples will fall down. Now I know.

So now when you are looking for the Type 'C' 1964-D quarter reverses, you will know what to look for on these.

CoopHome : Weak tail feathers on quarters
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17181 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philosophically, the reason for the weak tail feathers is due to the need to produce lots of coins as cheaply as possible. Before the War, there was less public consciousness for the need for the best quality dies.
Much of that Public consciousness is driven by coin collectors. Proportionately, there were fewer of them during the 1930s than there is now.
Hence, amount of work needed to produce high quality master dies was lacking.

These days, it is collectors like us that tend to make Mint administrators be more aware of the Public they are supposed to serve. These officials have also seen the need to (mostly) produce high quality collector coins, for their commercial benefit, and that extra quality control also shows up in better quality control for business strike coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45712 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also some PCGS listings for die events on the proof quarters:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05