Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reference Book 2011 Charlton 65th Edition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 641Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1568 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  1:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was skimming e-bay this morning and just noticed this book for sale on e-bay for $9.99 opening bid (no bids yet) item #373129946669. If you are collecting Canadian large cent coins this book is a must with variety section in the back on large cent coins it show many key coins to look for
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3134 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those used to sell, in conjunction with the large cent variety craze, for about $50 used. Wonder what they will be now. I won't comment on the authors.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1688 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard bad things about the group.....in particular the crusty orange clad guy......lolol
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder who owns that cover coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3134 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it was someone from So Cal, but moved a little further East.
Learn More...
Canada
9249 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that this volume was the inspiration for the subsequent 67th edition with varieties... a real magnum opus.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3134 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 65th was the first Charlton guide with the variety section written by collectors/researchers rather than dealers. More have followed in that same premise, but the 65th is a required book for a personal large cent library that shows all the different TYPES of varieties that can be found for each year. The 67th was a good one to keep as well, but a different denomination.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully most of you also have all the other copies from 5 cent to 50 cents.
Just wondering if Charlton (has secretly) or will continue with a Newer version of the old issues (updates)plus small cent, nickel, quarters, 50 Ct and dollars up to 1967?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1064 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks papeldog!

I'm looking forward to it arriving. It is one I have been passively looking for.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1568 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your welcome purelywasted I'm happy someone from here grabbed it at such a good price great investment on your part.

I have them all 47P7 some of the best info for variety collecting I have the same wish as you and others that Charlton will continues the up grade of varieties in the back pages of their book each year
Learn More...
Canada
9249 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just wondering if Charlton (has secretly) or will continue with a Newer version of the old issues (updates)plus small cent, nickel, quarters, 50 Ct and dollars up to 1967?

Bill Cross was driver behind those issues with the variety sections in the back. Bill sold Charlton Press to Mark Drake after publication of the 70th Edition. Since then, there has been little desire to continue this trend from Charlton Press.

Mark Drake is persona incognito as the "editor" for the Charlton Catalogue. In my opinion, he is the owner, not the editor. Your best contacts for the Charlton catalogue are those who are actually doing the real editing. Todd Sandham from Colonial Acres, and Mary-Anne Luzba (layout editor). As far as I know, all the catalogue orders are shipped from Colonial Acres. I did a lot of work for them for the 72nd edition of RCM exonumia, and I didn't even get a note or acknowledgement from Mark Drake... Kirk Parsons (also Colonial Acres) was nice enough to give me a free copy for all my work. I will not do another variety section again, unless things change with Charlton Press.

Bill Cross is dearly missed... he was always answering emails and I would have coffee with him regularly at Coin Expo shows. I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3134 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, found Bill C pleasant to work with when we did the 65th and at most shows afterword. We were able to get the rest of the scarcer '59 varieties listed in the front ... the 3, 4, 5 and 9/6. Before that, only the 1, 2 and 9/8 were ever listed. He was always great to sit down with he and his wife at the local T.O. area shows. You're right, Roger, about Charlton Pubs missing Bill as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17271 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have and frequently refer to my copy of the 18th edition (1970), of Charlton.
Perfectly OK for me, because I don't collect Canadian coins after 1967, (or World coins after about 1965).

I look at current on line references for pricing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP,
maybe one way of achieving change is perhaps a boycott.
like:
unless we get what we want and need , you will not get our info to publish . I am sure he can figure out what that would mean for the book. it would then be basically the same every year.....most member could abstain from buying charlton products for a year..?
remember, he could not use all you guy's info and findings as it is auto -copywright.
It would become a boring book with nothing new in it.

Bill cross was easy accessible and always was pleasant. He called me once from Florida to give permission to copy a few pages for our coin club.
Edited by 47P7
08/09/2020 11:27 am
Learn More...
Canada
9249 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is not a remote possibility that action would even impact their bottom line. A LOT of collectors, whom really don't care about varieties, buy this catalogue... You can find it at Chapters and other bookstores, and the print run usually sells out every year.

There is nothing we can do, and frankly, I have no intention of taking any "action". I prefer to promote the RCNA and publish on varieties there.

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 641Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05