Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 Belgium 5 Francs French Text

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 225Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
202 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  4:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I seem to have encountered a new variety of a 1949 5 Franc coin from Belgium. The one I have is missing the signature. On Numista they only list coin and medal alignment as the 2 varieties for 1949 however a missing signature does appear as a variety for other years. I have 3 other coins of about equal wear and the signature is still pretty visible on them so don't suspect it is a case of the signature having worn away. I find it hard to believe that I have found a variety that other coin enthusiasts have not detected so what gives?
Also, where do the KM codes originate from? Is there a web source to get more info on the KM codes?
Thanks

Learn More...
United States
17098 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dg, perhaps there was some grease in the die and RAU wasn't struck up for this coin?

Also the KM number refers to Krause and Mishler's series of standard catalogs of world coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3726 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@D G, I agree that's a puzzle. I just took a look at one of the places I have a handful of these coins, including a well worn 1949 5F (Flemish legend) and I agree it looks as though something is off, including possibly the option mentioned by @spence. There appear to be some features in that area on your photo, but they do not correspond to the expected size of the letters, and might just be some dings.

I looked over at acsearch and at the cgb database, and did not find anything. One of the French auction houses frequently has modern error coins in their auctions, and I thought it was cgb, but maybe I got it wrong.

Last option I can think is to send an email to Jean ELsen et Fils in Brussels with photos: numismatique@elsen.eu. They are certainly the world experts on anything from this part of the world, ancient or modern, and usually very helpful, but may also be on holiday at the moment.
Edited by tdziemia
08/04/2020 08:07 am
Valued Member
Australia
202 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence + @tdziemia - Thanks for the KM info and advice/contact. I know what you mean as a few times I thought there was something there with the naked eye however when I looked at the area with a mag glass from different angles I couldn't see anything might be a signature. Must admit, that after posting I came across another 5F coin where the last E from Belgie and the star were totally missing as was some of the adjacent beading. Why someone would do this beats me so assume it came from the mint like that.
I'm now curious. As I mentioned, other year date have a missing signature listed as a variety. How do the supremos in the field for those coins know it is a die variance and not grease on the die? Do they get to examine the original dies? Thanks
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05