Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Introduction To Predecimal New Zealand Coins 1933 - 1965

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 4,753Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3250 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have found a 1999 5 cent coin for you, its AU a teeny bit cloudy but a good spacefiller.

I have a 1999 5 cent from NZ, but that would be an upgrade.

Quote:
Now feast your eyes all on these babies.

Stunning coins, I had to put my sunglasses on. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4268 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane, how do the local prices compare to Krause?

Here in Canada we do see NZ from time to time in the foreign bins, with a lot of WWII era coinage, likely brought back by service people.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oriole

I don't really follow Krause at all here. Of course the prices over there for our stuff is much lower, but then again try and find it in truly top grade.

Bear in mind too, the huge price differentials and availability of coins in the VF - EF range. I assume Krause is American and uses American grading, so that means XF is really VF, Vf is Fine and your BU/UNC is more like AU here.

So if a 1944 shilling is US$20 in VF and $35 in XF - thats equivalent to it being $50 our money in VF.

I used to follow Krause (Phone books) until the 2000s when they got all greedy and started subdividing into centuries and the like.

Plus all our local catalogues (Bertrand) are small, yet surprisingly detailed and do their jobs. For Australia we use the Renniks/McDonald Catalogues which are even better.

Glad you can find quality ones in Canada. Occasionally we also get some nice Canadian coins here, although all my silver is worn and my better pieces are all modern (Like the quarters and twonies).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
104687 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
686 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2021  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning coins Princetane
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9293 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, Princetane!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more coin, but what a coin - its the 1941 Threepence, like the Sixpence, this is a frustrating coin to get in any condition above average.

Maybe the Gods smiled on me here, one of my dealers had 5 of them, 2 average, 1 VF, 1 gVF and 1 aEF - guess which one I bought?

Yes the best one and it's not cheap - $80

It's another coin that is cheap in average condition - but value shoots up in above average. A standard 3d in silver apart from 1935 and the 1942 1 diamond is $8 in VF and $30 in EF - yet this coin is $45 in VF and $150 in EF.

The mintage of 1.76million is lower than usual but in no way a rare or low mintage. The 1942 1 diamond and 1935 coins are like 100k and 40k so justify their high cost, but this coin no - its expensive for no good reason.

It's a nice example and unlike other dates, this may be the best 1941 3d I ever have.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3250 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet looking coin PrinceTane.
When you look at those prices, I know why I collect lower end coins. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is me, I just can't say no and glimmer and shine always win me over.

If it helps I can't afford one of those 3d coins in UNC - $600+

This neer EF stuff is about as good as its going to get.
Learn More...
United States
104687 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes the best one and it's not cheap - $80
Fantastic example!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I managed to buy some more duplicates this time from a guy who sells mostly bullion scrap silver, usually at 10 - 20% over melt. If he gets in better coins, obviously he will sell them a bit higher as they are too good for the melting pot!.

Although I doubt many of the buyers are melting these coins if they pay over melt for them. My guess is most buyers are likely to be silver stacking or just want lots of duplicates of the same coin (He sells a range of bulk silver lots, one denomination lots and even accumulations of base metal coins). Of course if silver goes over $30US an ounce, then you may get melters and speculators selling the coins on.

Case in point

1936 Florin, the rarest date of the series and this is a good example, probably at Very Fine or just below it. The robe also has some die faults at bottom right. Easily $100 coin off the big main street dealers.

To me it was just $35 - well spent, but at the same time these coins only have $6 silver in it and a nice near VF coin of a common year like 1934 may get $15 or so!

Next was him selling about 50 x 1949 crowns. As you saw on page 2, these coins were 50% silver and issued 2 years after the rest of the coins were all base metal. They issued 200k of them and most sold out initially - they did not generally circulate - but a few did as the silver in it (14.32grams) was worth about 3/8 at most in 1949.

He was selling better single coins at $21 and had 5 lots of 5 coins for $100 each. I managed to 2 get 2 lots of 5 and 3 single coins and have covered the gamut here!

In all I spent $263 on coins that contain around $205 worth of silver! I have divided them into 4 main groups as you will see below. 2 are just one coin.
Edited by Princetane
09/17/2021 01:37 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first group are damaged coins and these come in two types. 6 of the coins are what I call - melters or smokers.

These six coins all have a variety of dark staining, mostly copper leaching or burn marks from hot humid conditions or someone starting to melt them. Other causes could be acidic cleaning, boiling them in water and just years in a warm humid environment (Auckland has a steamy climate and 50 years in someones sock drawer or under a TV/stereo will show!).
These ones are not too bad - mostly gVF to gEF, yet damaged. Most 1949s have at least some staining, but these coins are all especially bad, one is basically black! They are also 40% copper after all and have 5% Zinc and 5% Nickel in them as well.

A subgroup of damaged coins is coins with grafitti on them. In this case dates stamped on the coin surface!

These coins are stamped 14.7.50 and 11.7.50 in metal date punches - I can not understand the rhyme or reason, but the lack of wear and dates suggest they were not circulated. The coin was released on 16 November 1949. Bare in mind we used day/month/year - so these are July 1950 or just 8 months later.

The punching on the coins suggests its two different people or one very bored one with nothing better to do with his time than ruin nice coins. Plus when they were released at Post Offices in 1949, you could only buy one and had to queue up - so to just vandalise them a few months later seems bizarre.

Next group is harshly cleaned coins, the surface of this one is bizarre and looks pilled, a goldish tone and shined up.

I originally thought this may be a Chinese fake, but its silver, weighs the same and rings the same, its not magnetic and the head looks very normal. Anyone else want to offer opinions?
Edited by Princetane
09/17/2021 01:52 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3016 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third type may be the rarest and that is the really worn/circulated coin.

This coin is worn down to Good condition and that is rare as these coins generally did not circulate and most are found in at least gVF condition, even with the staining, bad cleaning, date stamping and all the other abuse these crowns took - none have about 20 years of wear on them. This looks like it stayed in circulation for a while, its very worn and has the greeny/yellow colour of worn quaternary alloy silver coins. It is the main reason I brought these coins.

Seriously you know how with some coins like JBucks Ike and those lowball Canuck dollars, lowballs for traditional high grade coins are all the rage!

It is impossible to find a 1949 crown in bare VF or Fine condition let alone good. Even the most smoked up and dented coin has hairlines and lips on it!

Final group is the decent coins

These coins are all pretty much better than average 1949s, just like staining and no other damage. The usual bag marks as these were not prestige or proof strikings (There are 20 proofs, but mere mortals like me will never own one!). The coin in the middle is particularly nice. All 3 are at least EF and pushing AU - these are nice coins.

Hope you guys found this entertaining.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9293 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That very worn crown looks as though it could have been a pocket piece.

My parents both lived in NZ throughout 1949 but I never remember them mentioning this crown, although my Dad and his father and brother were always more into stamps than coins. My grandfather woud have been working at Dunedin Post Office in those days so I imagine he would have handed quite a lot of them out if he took a turn on counter duty...
Learn More...
United States
104687 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hope you guys found this entertaining.
I did. An interesting mix in this lot. In my opinion, stacking is always better than melting.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 4,753Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05