Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ef Portrait Of Maxentius Follis, Very Busy Scene In Reverse:

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 234Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:30 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What does this reverse scene not have in it? I often think I should keep these photos of the best scenes and frame them for a hallway but I never do.

Maxentius AE Follis Aquileia, late Summer 307.
Obv. IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate head right.
Rev. CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated left on shield in tetrastyle temple,
right handing globe to Maxentius (in military dress,
stading right), left
holding sceptre; seated captive between; Victories as acroteria; she-wolf
and twins in pediment;
RIC VI Aquileia 113.
27 mm, 6.24 grams

Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what it's missing, but it's a beautiful example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They certainly managed to squeeze a lot of imagery into such a small area.
Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent detail and strike.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travelcoin;

You probably realized already but I was being facetious as there was just so much going on in the scene. (On another note "facetious" has every vowel in alphabetical order and I have looked for others but spent a life not finding a word to match this accomplishment!)
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:30 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento and Bob:

On another note, you see a lot of Globes being handed to emperors on these coins. I don't think they meant this as the world, and a prize urn or trophy or wreath is not what is being handed off. So what is a globe to these people to be given by Gods to emperors? Just a neat shape?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5196 Posts
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so in a lot of respects it is the earth. Guess it was not much of a deep question at all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05