Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882-O Morgan Dollar - What Would You Do?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is the 1882-O Morgan I posted a few days ago. Some of you gave it 65's and even a 66 or two. NGC gave it a straight MS-64, which I think is under-graded. In a way, that was a good thing, because I surely wouldn't have got it for $92.20 if it said MS-65. There is like a $400 difference between a 64 and a 65. Should I gamble the $30, and break it out and re-submit it for grading (maybe to PCGS)? Submit it to CAC? What do you folks think? Here are a couple pics again, and two 25 second videos that show the luster much better. Thanks for any input!

ob-3zUcy-k8

Z0_fGORXSqA

"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Edited by Wideglide
08/13/2020 10:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50407 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please link us to the original discussion.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you can send it in and have a cross over done , just mark the minimum grade excepted. I just sent a NGC 1899-O MS-64 VAM 11A in to ANACS today I chose them do to the VAM attribution
Pillar of the Community
United States
797 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go PCGS, I would crack it out and submit it, crossovers always seem to be a crapshoot and successful crossovers to a higher grade are pretty low % wise (just my opinion). But, crossovers do ensure you get that NGC slabbed 64 minimum.

We can only base on pictures, and as we all know, can be tricky, so go with your gut. I'm sticking with my MS65 on this one., HOWEVER, I can see where others are coming from with the lack of luster holding it to a 64.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5440 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC based their grade on how the coin looked to them.

I do not see the "flash" that is needed for a 65. Maybe it has been dipped a couple of times too many and some of the luster/flash was stripped away.

I do not think it will upgrade. I hope I'm wrong!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9147 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reverse strike is a little weak for this year. the luster appears to be broken across the profile and is missing on the highest devices. I dont you will get a better grade on this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it looks no more than a 64 based on the amount of luster. Personally I wouldn't resubmit it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21342 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very clean cheek but the washed out luster killed it. Add the weak strike and I doubt this would cross over to MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at 63+ on the original thread. Honestly I think you got a good grade there. Luster is too subdued for anything higher.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05