Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

It Looks Like Death, But It Is An Unlisted Constantine II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 190Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2571 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:02 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bid on this eBay lot because the second coin from the left on the bottom row looked unusual with the VOT / V reverse with no wreath and what looked to be a left-facing bust. I thought I'd spend some money to see what it was.

Unfortunately, the coin is a wreck but it is an unlisted Constantine II with left-facing bust from Thessalonica. This type, struck in 320AD, all of which are rare according to RIC, is known with left-facing busts for Licinius II and Crispus, but not Constantine II.

I did find one example on Wildwinds for this unlisted type along with this information:

Constantine II AE Follis. 320 AD.

CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust
left
CAESARVM NOSTRORVM around VOT V (no wreath); TSBVI in ex.

RIC VII Thessalonica 95 var (bust type); Sear: -.

Unpublished var.

All Constantine II coins of this series are of the highest
rarity. Left-facing bust types with the shortened legend
ending NOB C are not listed for Constantius II for this "no
wreath" issue. A note in RIC, p. 509 states that "Reverse
II, 4" in Maurice Jules' work of Constantinian coinage is
described as having the same left-facing bust as this coin,
however with the longer legend ending NOB CAES. The author
of RIC was unable to check that example.

It's obviously not worth much at all, but I did have fun doing the detective work trying to figure out what it was.
Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
08/14/2020 11:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, still a nice find. Curiosity sometimes pays off - BIG. On occasion, I do the same if the price is right.
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 190Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05