Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Opinions On The Grade 1882 Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1574 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just purchased this coin on e-bay a couple weeks ago its a scares coin for Canadian large cent the 1882 slightly DDO.

I have been studying it since it arrived in the mail I'm thinking the grade is close AU-50.

What are everyone's thoughts on condition cleaned or not?
Here's a few pictures to study with all the green spots on it makes me suspicious of something is going on with it.
All opinions are welcome good or bad

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3139 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice 2/1 type 2. I would say, wearwise, it would be AU, but think that the green takes it to a 40-45. mAre you going to use some acetone on it? Scarce coin in any shape.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50453 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50+ with some mild verdigris issues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
963 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess ICCS 50 and at PCGS either 55 or a body bag (corrosion/environmental damage).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1574 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not to sure how to go about ridding the green verdigris, do you think acetone would help it? or would their be other way's to deal with it.

I'm thinking Leuchtturm Reinigungsbad bath first then hawthorn work, but what makes me suspicious of it is there is no dirt or gung on it anywhere.
Learn More...
Canada
9253 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but what makes me suspicious of it is there is no dirt or gung on it anywhere.

I would not expect that much in an AU coin... or someone had previously soaked this coin, before submitting it to ICCS. Nonetheless, the surfaces look ok.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3139 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that the coin has passed through enough hands to get hand oil on it to start making the Vicky gunk. See if the green is mostly oily or is most of it powdery? Acetone will help with the soft oily stuff and you have to be very careful with a hawthorn thorn because you can cause small scratches with even a mino slip.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1574 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I soaked the coin in the Leuctturm bath for 7-8 hours with a couple other coins I'm sending to PCGS along with this one.

Here are the results of this coin after the bath and a little hawthorn work, I'm hoping it will get a grade now and not get body bagged. I might dab acetone on the stubborn green verdigris, what are your thoughts

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3139 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that PCGS will certify the Obverse variety, let alone the "type 2" of the three types. They WILL cert the "heavy punch doubling" type 3 and they sometimes will do just the straight 2/1 (type 1),I think. You need to find out if it makes financial sense to have the variety cert'd. A vanilla 1886 Obv 2 is $35 in Trends and $70 for an Obv 1 in Trends. In the 2011 Charlton, we had the plain EF 2/1 at $70, but it is/was scarcer than that and that price was wrong from the get-go. We assigned the 2/1 with heavy doubling in EF at $1150 and we didn't list the type 2, but I think it would be $7-800 or so. PCGS might body-bag it due to the verdigris corrosion. Under the hard green stuff, the coin will be discolored and maybe slighly pitted. I would be careful removing any more of the greeny. It might cost you nearly $100 more than a vanilla coin to get it cert'd. CCCS would probably cert it for much less.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05