Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Ugliest Trajan Denarius I've Ever Seen - Looks To Be A Fake.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
715 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen this coin come up on eBay (incredibly high asking price) for months and always thought it to be the ugliest Trajan Denarius ever. The style is horrible and I also suspected it to be a fake. Well today, I found what looks to be the same coin for auction within a gold bezel.

Is it a match? Are they fakes?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2571 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it is authentic and is a silver drachm from Arabia, Bostra, similar to this one.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ae...Default.aspx
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes Drachm, explains the different style. I still say fake - same knick / crack on both.

Edited by travelcoin
08/14/2020 1:41 pm
Learn More...
United States
23215 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two different coins that look almost exactly a like down to the same nick. I agree with you most likely fake.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3174 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That assumes that they are in fact two different coins, and not just one coin with a newly added bezel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That assumes that they are in fact two different coins, and not just one coin with a newly added bezel.

Good assumption, but they are being offered by different sellers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two fakes. One mold.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2571 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stand corrected on my opinion that the coin is authentic.

I didn't notice all the similarities between to two coins shown.

Sharp eyes, folks!
Paul Bulgerin
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05