Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Introduction To New Zealand Decimal Coins 1967 - 2020

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 4,081Next Topic
Page: of 7
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a proof set rarity for you all I just picked up
That is a great looking set!
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"They are out there and the best part is how affordable they are for such low mintages. New Zealand is a place where you can buy coins with 5 figure and even 4 figure mintages for mere dollars!"

Yes, it appears that isn't the same interest in low mintage New Zealand coins as there is in some the Australian $2 coins that have been minted with 100's times as many coins.

I am often surprised that the New Zealand silver dollars can be bought at or even below the value of the silver in them.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane wrote:

Quote:
"6,900 were made, but this is the rare convention Overprint set that catalogues at $450.00. Only 100 were made and this is one of them. The best part was price - it cost $95."

Really nice pick up.

Is the only difference between the regular set and the convention set the cardboard outer?

Or is there a difference in the coins?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I have it, it seems to be the cover as the inside of the set has nothing else alluding to the conference. It is not numbered either.

The cardboard is slightly toned, but the coins are perfect in tamper proof cases and thus full proofS (Maybe not PR70 but at least PR68)

It is also a rare instance of the whole set being minted in sterling silver, all other Proof decimal sets to this date had only had a silver dollar with other coins being base metals.

But hey as we know here in the antipodes, a bag accompanying a coin can make a lot of difference. Remember the small cardboard bags that came with 1934/35 Melbourne Florins. Those little crimpled bags can be worth more than the coin (As most were cheaply made and folded over to fit the coin inside, any above VG are very scarce).

And Melbourne Yankee

You know I am a hound for Australian coins too and have those $2 coins. I got into them with a collection purchase that had most of them up to Mr Squiggle and have kept it up to the point I now have Firefighters and the 2021 standard coin. The only one I am missing is the 2013 Coronation coin (Yes I even have a red poppy, although not mintmarked).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
03/02/2021 7:06 pm
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane & jbuck,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have the 1990 NZ Proof and also the $1 Proof coin as well. The coins in the set are really outstanding quality.

Not really into the Australian $2 coin craze, but do like the silver Kangaroo coins. I wish the RAM would have kept the series simple and also continued the carded coins.

Oh well it makes a nice place to stop the collection.

It seems to me that those $1 NZ proof silver dollars are really nice coins and undervalued compared to various Australian ones.

The NZ bullion coins are nice too, but the price is over the top............
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree, most of the $10 gold coins are priced at 2x - 3x bullion value. Generally I don't even buy modern silver and gold. All these classic sets with the Proof $1 (to 1990) and $5 coins (1991 - now) are the fun ones.

Anything before 2000 is incredibly vwell priced. The 1990 set above has 66.5 grams of silver or 2.16 oz and thats about $58US and $84NZ at current prices, so I paid very little above melt for a proof rarity.

Compare that now to the $110 - $140NZD charged for the standard new Proof $5 coin (Which has 0.84 oz of silver), this is about 4 - 5x melt value.

Then again minting rates are much lower (A few hundred to 1000 whereas 1980s and 1990s stuff is high 4 figures and low 5 figures).

I did find that 7000 sets were made and 100 had the white sleeve, the other 6,900 don't have them. There was also a cupronickel.

The joy of this 1990 set, is these coins never circulated and are only available in the sets, making them more desirable.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
03/04/2021 01:32 am
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane,

Just wondering if you could comment on the market for NZ uncirculated year sets and/or proof sets in NZ.

I look at the stuff on Ebay Australia and the prices are all over the place.

I don't look at the stuff listed in NZ as we have have the nifty 10% GST added to everything including postage bought from outside the country added to the Ebay tab.

I have Bertrand's 2020 catalogue and the prices include that NZ15% GST. Are those realistic prices in New Zealand or they high?

Would dealers in NZ take 15% off the price for shipments sent outside of NZ? I know several stamp dealers/auction houses that do that for foreign purchases?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really speak for dealers as I buy off club members, auctions and Trade Me.

Generally Uncirculated sets with base metal coins to 1990 have minimal value and you can pick them up for $5 each at most as FV was low and mintage numbers were high. Some sets like 1988 and 1986 along with 1989 cost more. There is almost no interest in 1967, 69 or 70s stuff and even less if damage is noted.

Many of the plastic pouches of pre 1983 sets were poorly sealed and included PVC, so the bronze is usually always toned and so is the cupronickel (5c - $1) in some cases. Avoid these if you can - perfect examples are still common except for 1971, 72 and 73 which were particularly bad years for packaging.

Post 1990 sets are worth more as they had a $5 face value coin in them and also a $1 and $2 coin. Figure at least $15 for common dates like 1991 and 1992. 1993 and 1994 had no $5 coin and had the $2 Kingfisher in 1993 and 50 cent bimetallic in 1994.

1995 onwards they go up, peaking at the 2000 set which is rare and costs at least $150. Post 2000 its at least $35 a set as they became very expensive and mintages under 4000 by that stage. But the cardboard packaging was much better and toning is less an issue with pre 1990 sets.

Proof sets are very common up to 1970 and again 1975 to 1976. 1971 to 1973 are very collectible as they were early case sets and faults are common. The 1974 games and 1977 to present sets all had a silver $1 or $5 coin in them and thus are worth at least $30 because of that.

Figure $100 plus for post 1995 and all silver special sets and as much as $350 for the 2015 set.

Catalogue prices are high for pre 1990 sets in both grades, mostly as these are storage costs and handling fees, post 1990 stuff the prices are accurate and for some sets like 2015 Proof, 2013 UNC and 2000 Pied Cormorant, may be underpriced as these sets are hard to find.

Post 1995 sets were managed by Reserve Bank and NZ Post and were generally minted to order. 1967 and 1974 on the other hand they minted hundreds of thousands and every man and his dog brought them. They always appear on the market and can be picked up for next to nothing, even as late as 1982 there is little interest for sets.

Same rules apply to single large $1 and $5 coins, silver ones attract metal value and not much more. Some better ones are

1974 NZ Day Proof and UNC (Not Games, which is DIRT common)
1970 Cook Islands
1999 Morepork $5
2000 Pied Cormorant $5
Any post 2010 set or separate $5 coin.
1990 150th anniversary silver set (My one)

Gold proofs of any set like 50 cents bimetallic and Kingfisher $2 piedfort.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane,

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that long, detailed and highly informative post.

I'll have to do a lot of research and 'looking' for those recs in your post.

It seems to me that a coin craze with crazy prices for low mintage coins in NZ hasn't really taken off with a few exceptions.

And I don't really see a lot of PCGS or NGC slabbed NZ coins in the market either.

I wonder why..............

Well I hope that I can buy a few decent coins (not the Hobbit type stuff !!) before the world wakes up and notices the beauty of the coins along with the low mintages.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure!

Slabbing is not really popular at all here and I am amazed it would be in a Australia, it is mainly an American thing. Even the British are not that into it.

I think with our coins, they don't generate much interest amongst Kiwis for these reasons.

1. They only go back to 1933, which is very recent by global and even Commonwealth collecting standards.

2. There are only a couple of rare items (Waitangi Crown and 1935 3d).

3. They are mostly base metal (From 1947 onwards) and quite "plain"

4. Silver era (Pre 1947) coins are generally unaffordable in MS grades (Getting EF coins is hard for many dates) and most on the market are overpriced and/or cleaned - a serious issue here in New Zealand.

5. Modern coin issuing suffers from too much overpriced NCLT tatt like Lord of the Rings, Matariki coins, silver sets like Pride in New Zealand.

6. Annual set issuing got more and more miniscule and then died out in the mid 2010's

7. Our circulation coins are really boring now, only 2 special 50 cent coins and both are basically gone as speculators bought up the mintages and examples cost 5 - 8x face value!

8. Australian, British and other country coins are so much more popular here (NZ used British coins before 1933), even myself a bit of a Kiwi coin maven, avoid most of the modern NCLT and any of the overpriced bullion - I only bought that 1990 set as it was very cheap.

And I also collect mostly British and Australian, with Kiwi coins more a garnish!

9. We don't mint any official coinage here and never have, only a few tokens and medals in the past and now bullion rounds (NZ Mint, gold Kiwis - ACS Gold bullion in the 1980s).

Hope this helps.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add melbourne_yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again thanks for all the information.

"Slabbing is not really popular at all here and I am amazed it would be in a Australia"

Well slabbing has become hugely popular here over the past couple of years and the eBay Australia coins section is full of the stuff especially the $2 coins.

There are even a couple of dealers that will submit the coins for you and one official submission place up in Brisbane. They sell a whole bunch of slabbed coins themselves too.

I've only owned a few slabbed coins and only ever submitted one to NGC so far.

I bought a mixed silver lot of 1979 Year of the Child proof coins at an auction here in Australia which included the 1979 Chinese coin. Most of the coin catalogues in Australia were out of date at that time and did not reflect the real value of the coin.

I don't collect China and wanted to get a decent price for the coin and sent it in.

Believe it or not I was on a trip to the USA and sent it in from the USA and had it mailed back to me in Australia. IIRC the entire cost to join, get graded, postage and insurance for the one coin was around US$100!!!

The coin came back with a stinky grade of PR67 Deep Cameo (I thought it was almost perfect!!!) and I sold it for about four times what I paid for the entire lot of coins.

(There is a PR69 PCGS coin for sale on eBay now for US$899 and a couple of unslabbed coins which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.)

Makes up for the losses on stamps and other coins!!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
985 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  03:24 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hahah well put Melbourne Yankee yeah depend on the coin, but grading is subjective. That's why the king of Australian coins is only grade so that people are more sure that it genuine coin they are buying. As for 2 dollar I would agree don't touch them they are so wildly inflated yet I know people are still buying them I mean srsly they want PR70 on a copper/nickle coin ..... it's going to tone people much like silver the only thing that can stay PR70 and kept properly is proof gold coins.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more NZ coins for you added to the collection.

2015 Anzac 50 cent coin

I thought these were dead in the water, but a guy in my stamp clubs brought several rolls back in 2015 and did not want the hassle of quitting them himself so I bought 4 off him for an amount well above face and already sold one for twice what I paid for it.

The goal is to sell one more roll, keep another intact and open up one for personal stocks (I only had 5 or 6 coins left). I hope to buy some more. The wrapping suggests that these are all Anzac coins not standard 2015 ones.

These coins are edging up to $4 - $6 each now on Trade me and rolls at $100+.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2442 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also got this set of two proof $5 coins from 1990.

A 1990 Anzac proof pair of $5 aluminium bronze coins for Australia and NZ. The Australian coin is showing Simpson's donkey and Kiwi coin shows a Kiwi soldier against the flag

Coins in separate ring box holders you expect for Proof coins of this era (Still base metals but are proofs)

The packaging and boxes show aging, but the coins and their holders are flawless!

A significant item as this was NZ's first $5 commemorative coin released early in 1990 (The same time as the 150th set) and well before the 1991 Rugby $5 and 1990/91 NZ 6 coin souvenir set.

The Australian coin was their 2nd $5 commem after the 1988 New Parliament House coin.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 92 / Views: 4,081Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05