Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Contemporary Counterfeit Coppers!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 823Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. with a less than flattering bust of Alfred the Great.

With all due respect to the designer, whom I imagine has been deceased for the better part of 200 years, I think "Alfred the average" would have fit better.
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TerryT, funnily enough, I came across that exact same die variety when I was sent the coin in error after a recent eBay purchase. I share the seller's image below, as I have since returned the coin.

In Anton and Kesse's Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies (1992), a 1774-dated farthing with the same error and of similar obverse design is listed as #107.

The coin shows similarities to the "Wedge Top Sevens" and "Topless Ordinals" families of Moore et al.'s recent attempt to catalogue counterfeits in "Contemporary Counterfeit Halfpenny & Farthing Families" (2018). Both those families are denoted as "summary families" and have not been completely researched; they show similarities, and are occasionally muled, with other families. They tentatively assign Anton-Kesse 107 to the "Topless Ordinals" family based on the original plate image.

I've only started working my way through the book. The authors definitely had (and have) their work cut out for them with the sheer complexity and volume of contemporary counterfeit varieties!

Tom and Numis-Northerner, it almost appears to me that the caricature-like image was done purposefully... for what reason I do not know.
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for that info, Blargish. One of the few I can mark a number for.
Here are 2 thin 1773 farthings (not as reddish as photos). Left one is 3.65 gm., 22.5 mm.. Right one is 2.57 gm., 22 mm.. It looks like they actually circulated a lot.

While looking over my other ones, I think this one was made with the same dies as the left one above. It's heavier and thicker, 4.02gm., smaller in diameter, 22 mm. but has the same details.

Edited by TerryT
09/03/2020 6:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
777 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i always wonder if people would have gotten angry at receiving money like this even back then? I know you be angry at getting fake silver, but when it fake copper I wonder if people would get angry when they traded it for like a bar of soap.
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of 1775 halfpenny evasions: DELECTAT RUS / CLAUDUIS ROMANUS. First one, 5.95g., looks like it's brass. The other is 6.11g. and has extra metal on the shield - could be die clash - there are other areas. 2 numbers came with this one - Atkins 50, Cobwright C120/D0060, but there were ? after them so can't be sure.

Edited by TerryT
09/04/2020 7:44 pm
Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more 1773 farthings, maybe regal ? maybe not?

First one is 4.60 gms., a little banged up.

Second one is 4.46 gms. and has the 3 attached to the line above it. Fat 7's.

Valued Member
Canada
468 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  01:46 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I the only one with these coins ? Oh well, I'll keep posting.

Here are 2 other skinny farthings, can't tell the dates, 2.30 and 2.05 grams. Second one has a die crack from the 7 upwards.

Edited by TerryT
09/17/2020 01:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 823Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05