Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Confirming Whether Chinese Song Cash Coin Is Real Or Fake.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 414Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Monkey5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin a few years back from Amazon and it came with a little case with information concerning the history of the song dynasty in China. After learning that there are many fakes out there on the internet I wanted to get thoughts from someone who has experience collecting genuine Chinese cash coins who knows what to look out for when determining whether or not a cash coin is genuine or not.

Here are the pictures of this particular coin:

It did not give me the name of which emperor it was minted under.

Diameter: 24 mm
Width: 1 mm
Weight: I think around 1.5 g
Learn More...
United States
23485 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I'm sure someone will be along to help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin reads Shao Sheng yuan bao. "Shao Sheng" is a reign title of the emperor Zhe Zhong (1086-1100). It is a very common Northern Song coin and unlikely to be faked. In general, the fakes are of more valuable coins and typically have attractive patinas. That being said, it is no longer possible to be 100% confident. The best guarantee is provenance to the 1980s or earlier. Lacking provenance, the safest bet is buying from a reputable source.

About 10 years ago, I sold my entire Chinese collection to a Chinese national who sent them back to China. He informed me that collectors in China were buying only from abroad because everything for sale inside China was fake!

Edited by Kushanshah
08/28/2020 08:01 am
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oabmarcus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine but pretty much worthless, 99% of northern song coins are worthless because so many were minted. You literally can buy them by the kilo.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 414Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05