Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Coin Designed To Be Given, Not Collected

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 98 / Views: 3,355Next Topic
Page: of 7
Learn More...
Australia
13450 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sculptor is the same, but the portraits are actually different (similar to the difference between the Australian crowned and British uncrowned portraits of George V). The Australian version is fuller, showing her entire neck and shoulders, with a necklace.

It is the first time that Australian coin portraiture has deviated significantly from British coin portraiture of Elizabeth II (apart from a few one-off issues like the Australian-made Vladimir Gottwald portrait on the 2000 Royal Visit 50 cents).

There are no laws, rules or international conventions regarding the royal portrait; each country is free to go its own way, provided royal assent is given. The Canadians have used their own Canadian-made portraits since 1990. But many of the smaller dominions and colonies use whatever the British portrait is, to save the cost of getting their own portrait designed and approved. Some countries that are constitutionally identical to Canada and Australia don't use the queen's portrait at all (like Papua New Guinea). And Fiji continued to use the queen's portrait for over a decade after becoming a Republic.

I suspect that Elizabeth II will be the last monarch to see the same portrait used across all Commonwealth realms. I strongly suspect Australia, New Zealand and perhaps other Commonwealth Realms will follow Canada's lead and create their own, home-grown portraits for the next monarch.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Australia
13450 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
If the Mint really wanted to make these coins non-collectable, or at least less attractive to collectors, they should remove the date and continue to strike them, undated, for the next decade.

... that's a great idea Sap but I'm not sure what our definition of legal tender is in regards to coins? Maybe a year date is compulsory?

Sorry for not seeing this question earlier.

There's nothing in Australian law that states a coin must bear the correct date, or any date for that matter. I'm sure most of us are aware that the RAM and Perth both started striking "2020" proof and Unc NCLT coins in July 2019, so they could have them ready to go on sale for Christmas. So, "false-dated" coins are already a reality in the Australian series. It's purely convention that keeps them putting the more-or-less correct date on the coins, and the only reason they continue to do it is because they know collectors like the date being there and fewer coins would be collected if they were not dated. And more coins "purchased" from circulation by collectors are more profit for the Mint.

Contrast this with, say, France, where the Paris Mint is under strict government regulation about putting the "correct" date on coins. This is why you can find French euro coins dated from 1999, prior to the actual launch of the euro, because the Paris Mint produced most of France's quota of euro coins a couple of years in advance and stockpiled them until the actual launch in 2002. Most other stockpiled euro coins from other Eurozone countries were dated "2002", reflecting the year of issue not year of striking.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
317 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Contrast this with, say, France, where the Paris Mint is under strict government regulation about putting the "correct" date on coins. This is why you can find French euro coins dated from 1999, prior to the actual launch of the euro, because the Paris Mint produced most of France's quota of euro coins a couple of years in advance and stockpiled them until the actual launch in 2002. Most other stockpiled euro coins from other Eurozone countries were dated "2002", reflecting the year of issue not year of striking.

Thanks for the info. Your depth of knowledge is amazing.
Valued Member
Australia
317 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sap - Once again thanks for providing such detailed answers. Very informative.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
714 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone else besides David come across a Donation dollar in circulation yet?
Yesterday I was talking to a teller at my local bank and she said that they haven't received any there yet ... seems a little strange after all the hype!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2546 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, not seen any here in Perth yet.
A friend found some on Ebay though for $40, for a bag of 20, including delivery, so I have some coming.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
984 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latest Jody Clark portrait on UK coins will only be on UK coins, officially the reason is for "public recognition and security".

Back in '53 when the queen was crowned, the official policy at the time was that the dominions were allowed the uncrowned portrait, the colonies the crowned portrait.
Edited by andyg
09/26/2020 3:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
714 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone else besides David come across a Donation dollar in circulation yet?
Yesterday I was talking to a teller at my local bank and she said that they haven't received any there yet ... seems a little strange after all the hype!

That's another week gone by and still haven't sighted any in circulation?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2546 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My donation dollars arrived today.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
10/06/2020 07:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
714 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My donation dollars arrived today.

I'm still waiting to see one up close!
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
714 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have taken five weeks but the Donation Dollar has finally made it's appearance on the Gold Coast!

My daughter-in-law just sent me this photo showing what she found in the till for me today as I've been asking her to keep an eye out for one.

... but I'll still have to wait until tomorrow to 'see one close up'!
Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It may have taken five weeks but the Donation Dollar has finally made it's appearance on the Gold Coast!
Excellent!

Quote:
My daughter-in-law just sent me this photo showing what she found in the till for me today as I've been asking her to keep an eye out for one ... but I'll still have to wait until tomorrow to 'see one close up'!
Valued Member
Australia
317 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woohoo... Good find and nice to see themfinally getting around!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
714 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... but I'll still have to wait until tomorrow to 'see one close up'!

As it turned out I had to wait an extra day but finally I get to hold and 'see one close up'!

Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 98 / Views: 3,355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05