Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Coin Designed To Be Given, Not Collected

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 142 / Views: 9,637Next Topic
Page: of 10
Australia
7 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickWilliams2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, I would have loved to have seen a Silver Proof version of the 'Donation' Dollar, or even a 'Privy Mark set' and 'First Day of Issue PNC'. I reckon that may have deterred collectors at least a little. Circulated = intended use. Uncirculated Privy Mark Sets, PNCs and Proof coins = For Collectors. This is just my simple mind working at 5:40am, so I could be entirely wrong LOL.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1234 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes that what they were think, however as true collector we know that it will definitely not work, it just means that the big coin auction and coin shops will not be marketing them thats all. Depends on how many they mint to deter coin collectors and coin resellers/hoarders it will have to be enormous amounts maybe 10M+ and only the low quality ones will circulate so maybe 1M of them.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2004 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2020  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good haul coaster - I still haven't seen one but I don't think I've had a fresh dollar pass through my hands in a while.
Valued Member
Australia
69 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where are the 2021 donation dollars?

RAM not feeling very charitable?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2004 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah you're right - was there an announcement about them this year even?

I did end up finding a 2020 donation dollar anyway, but just the one.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19603 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just found my first in circulation.
Very obviously, they are being hoarded.
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have just found my first in circulation.
Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3462 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall the mintage is meant to be around 25 million so they should appear sooner or later.

The covid pandemic did seem to affect the logistics aspect of delivering coins.

For instance when covid first struck, a lot of the 2019 new coins especially the 50 cents could only be found in mid 2020.

I first found a batch of the donation dollars around April this year (could be wrong) before a wave of pandemic hit. I've been finding a lot more this month so they should appear sooner or later!
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19603 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 25 million minted, this coin should be one of the most common Australian colored to be found in circulation.

I have no idea why it has taken me so long to find one.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1107 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2021  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At 25 million minted, this coin should be one of the most common Australian colored to be found in circulation.

25 million is the total projected mintage of these coins over the next few years.

Even though the RAM's 2020/21 Annual Report shows that 12.5 million have been minted so far, I suspect that the original release of around 3 million coins is still all that we are seeing in circulation at the moment.
Valued Member
Australia
434 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did end up finding a 2020 donation dollar anyway, but just the one.

Quote:
I have no idea why it has taken me so long to find one.

I don't think the people who have only found one of these coins do much noodling. Hauls like coaster's above are pretty normal. You can't crack a roll of dollar coins these days without finding 2 or 3 donation dollars.

I wonder what the people who paid over $100 for a $20 bag of these coins think about their purchase now.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SallyG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone seen a 2021 Donation Dollar yet?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3855 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone seen a 2021 Donation Dollar yet?

Not seen any in Perth. :(
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1139 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  03:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I grabbed $500 in $1 coins the other day. Threw a bunch of shiny donation dollars back into circulation. I wasn't even aware they had released the 2021 edition. Puts pay to the notion each year would be a different colour.
Valued Member
Australia
434 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  03:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you really think the RAM would have silently released a 2021 donation dollar after all the fanfare and self-promotion over the 2020 version.

Do you really think ebay wouldn't be flooded with 2021 donation dollars as the profiteers who magically get there hands on thousands of coins before they are released into circulation charge ridiculous prices for them.

The last annual report lists 12.5 million 2020 donation dollars. There is no mention of a 2021 donation dollar.
Edited by MachinMachinMan
03/19/2022 04:19 am
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 142 / Views: 9,637Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: