Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Died Weld Repairs And Patches

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,176Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check this coin out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is the T in Monticello. as you can see this die was damaged. a piece missing and plus doubled punched. you can see the copper coming through on the surface. wow like seeing the varnish.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
triple punched N in Monticello. you all have a great one. thank you all for your help. ps keep up the good work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4352 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, welding a tempered die would completely ruin the heat treatment of the die. I was a machinist for years and worked with hundreds of different dies. I have also wire welded hundreds of parts to be put back into service. There is no stick or wire welder with thin enough wire to patch a die. I am not being disrespectful but this comes from years and years of working with such things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1745 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was a welder at one time in my working career and was able to tig weld the hinge back on my Zippo lighter without affecting the pin.
I guess it's plausible to weld a damaged die but not likely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first image you posted appears to be a linear plating blister above an "N" (the image is sideways).

I wonder if the first images of the Jefferson nickel are showing evidence of a clash?
Edited by Petespockets55
09/14/2020 09:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you have a very good eye on you Pete. well here is one for you. this looks like a double arrow head on Jefferson neck. I would think this is a strike through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what do you think.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10903 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you can see the copper coming through on the surface.

That doesn't make any sense. Jefferson nickels are made of a homogeneous alloy. The color is the same all the way through.

Quote:
what do you think.

About what?
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is some more welds. I know you guys know this. but see when you get a die chip. it leaves a hole in the die. so what the mints have been doing is repairing die chip holes plus some deformations. they also use the welds to strengthen and make certain edges harder. we have done a lot of that. when we were pressing steel. there is always wear points weld can be used to strengthen them. I know the welders here will know that. we also used the same practice on bulldozer blades, excavator buckets and excavator rock hammers. all we were trying to do was make the attachments last longer. that is the same idea at the mints with there dies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on Rocky......... http://www.error-ref.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian die repair the bust is altered. here plus a couple of welds on the die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3054 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am lost here.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silverwolf this coin is in the first 5000. its the 2020 toonie.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1920 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok here is a coin a Jefferson with a mouth repair. I have the coin that also show the large hole. so yea they have been doing this for a while. I mean all the mints. Denver philly. and Seattle, as well as the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa and the one in Winnipeg
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 1,176Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05