Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 D Salt River Bay - Struck Through- Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 784Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these cool dudes in three separate boxes. I defer to the pros to offer just what kind of struck through they are. TIA.

Edited by rdlem
09/12/2020 3:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3636 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, all keepers for sure.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2830 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All look to be Struck Through Grease. Very nice to find so many!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really great finds! All keepers for sure. All struck thru grease. Back in 1999, I found a Georgia State Quarter with obverse struck thru grease - First error/find of any kind. That coin is what started me on the road to collecting coins, and here I am 20 years later!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange to find so many in so few boxes! Nice finds, 2x2 worthy for sure!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I'm not a error guy. But should they be toned like that already?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coins!
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really great finds! All keepers for sure. All struck thru grease. Back in 1999, I found a Georgia State Quarter with obverse struck thru grease - First error/find of any kind. That coin is what started me on the road to collecting coins, and here I am 20 years later!
Very cool Jake! I had a few coins here and there groing up and then tried crh to get back into collecting. Found my avatar coin pretty soon after and then really got the fever for it.

Quote:
All look to be Struck Through Grease. Very nice to find so many!
Thanks Yokozuna, I thought capped die originally but started doubting that looking at others that were. Grease makes more sense.

Quote:
Sorry I'm not a error guy. But should they be toned like that already?
They don't look so brown in hand, the light in that room is yellow. They reflect the light a little different than a shiny that's for sure. Here's a pic under white light. There's still a light color difference especially on a couple of them.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38545 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do the edges look like?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rdlem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do the edges look like?
John1
Just saw this in time to take a pic of the last two before putting back into flips.
Nothing noticeable on the edges. They just look like new quarters.

Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newbie question... how come the rims are so nice when the inner detail is wiped out like that?

ALSO..... the sheer PSI required to stamp metal, wouldn't that make grease just squish out instead of obscuring details like that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50170 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an issue with a heavy grease obverse die leaving the devices blocked out from striking. The reverses is what don't make sense. The incuse devices on the reverse look prevented on some coins. You might check to see if there are any markers that would match each other? If they were all from the same dies you might find a matching marker. But if they are not from the same dies, markers may not match. These would probably interest collectors. The ones with the most blockage would be more valuable. The others would be worth a bit less. While they may have been from the same dies, I wonder if they are from different dies. The Motto devices on some, look like fresh dies, and some look like over polished dies. When you go to sell them don't flood the market with them. Just sell them one at a time. (If the first seller know you have more than one, the prices will drop) So keep the info to yourself.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38545 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this something that Mike might want to see?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop - good financial advice! ;-)
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 784Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05