Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Excellent Reference On Dahlonega Mint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 177Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tough book to find but it has a lot of great historical info.
Learn More...
United States
90125 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one, the Charlotte, and the New Orleans ones are a trio on my list to get.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
09/16/2020 5:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7323 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to find this on the book: https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n42a11.html

It is rather hard to find and a warning to be extra careful when trying to order online, it seems Barnes & Nobel has mixed up the cover photo and the ISBN with another book on Civil War Soldiers from Georgia and you will see this cover all over eBay, their site and others with the title and author correct, only the book that is being sold is NOT this one on Dahlonega Mint history.

The book was put out in 1988 and I believe had a reprint sometime, but I can't find any more info on it. I only have the Doug Winter book in my library.

Maybe jimbucks could share the publisher, copyright and a possible corrected ISBN # from his copy. Is it a hard back or softback?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20765 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7323 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Bobby, the used copies are described as being published in 1984 not 1988 as stated in the e-sylum link. Though the description shows the book as the correct one, the publisher also sells the same book that is messed up on the B&N site and other web sales pages I found. I'd recommend before anyone orders a copy they call first to be sure it's really the coin history book and not the soldier book. The ASIN#: B006WAP43K and Publisher : Southern Historical Press; First Edition (January 1, 1984) on the Amazon page seem to be correct. The ISBN I found was not. To confuse thing more the Georgia Soldier book is also Red board covers with black. The price of $175 seems more in line with what I expected to find the coinage book selling for, the "Georgia Soldier" book is around $20-45.00 and is a paperback, the Dahlgonega Mint book is only made in a hardbound version.

The 1988 date quoted in the e-sylum link is for another book similar, same author "Clair M. Birdsall" but covering the Charlotte Mint instead of Dahlonega Mint. Both were published by Southern Historical Press which is still around, unfortunately they do not have either of these books listed in their sale section of old out of print books section on their website.

My search on abebooks brought up the same problem, wrong photo but the same Amazon sellers with the correct books, and a Thriftbook shop selling the wrong book with correct description and wrong photo. This is why I say to call and confirm your order before sending payment. What first looks like a deal is not necessarily all that it seems.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/17/2020 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info that I will keep in mind when I get down my lift to these.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 177Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05