Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Copy Of J.h. Cline SLQ Book Arrived...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7406 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  7:38 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was a surprise arrival, not the book but the type and quality of the book. I placed a large number of bids in the last Bid or Buy sale from Kolbe & Fanning, this was one of my lower end bids to win.

I have not had a copy of J.H. Cline's Standing Liberty quarters book in my library before, which is surprising, as it is such a respected and not very expensive reference book. I had always had this book on my to get list, yet I always passed on them in sales of paperback copies, guess it was all because fate knew this gorgeous copy would be mine someday. There is one edition after this one (third edition), the forth was the last edition printed, before J.H. Cline passed away in 2015.

What arrived was a hardbound book filled with magazine tear-outs and photocopies on all types of SLQ information and articles, plus a handwritten note from "David" AKA David Lawrence Feigenbaum to Phil (I'm trying to confirm the original owner of this copy, but I have my guesses so far). This was one of the early Publisher Copies and was intended for in house use at DLRC before David sent it to Phil as an apology for some sort of ? (dispute or snub possibly on a coin that got away), an 1898 Dime. A an added note at the end "not to tell Cline" he got the book from David as it wasn't copy for distribution to others. A neat bit of history to go with this cool copy of a great reference book.

Here is the description from David Fanning in the sale catalog:

Cline, J.H. STANDING LIBERTY QUARTERS
original blue leatherette, gilt.
x, 175, (5) pages; numerous illustrations. Fine.
Special Edition. One of only 100 copies printed.
$30.00

And the photos of what arrived:

This goes nicely with my copy of Superior Galleries Auction catalog from 10-07-1990 "The October Sale" Featuring the 1872 Amazonian Gold Pattern coins and J.H. Cline's Collection of Standing Liberty quarters and Patterns.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/17/2020 7:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool to have provenance on a book. Well done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice add. Very worthy addition to a numismatic library.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great, well done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice book, great provenance!
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05