Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Heritage Auction "Impossible" Mated Pair - Think It Had Help? Not My Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 407Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:31 am Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This pair of coins made me stop in my tracks. I had to study the images until I figured it out and only then did I read the description.

How many of this type of San Francisco minted coin are out there that haven't been seen in years?

Just had to share.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/197...ption-071515

1974-S Cent Mated Die Pair
Coin #1 Struck on a 1973 Panama Tenth Balboa
Coin #2 Reverse Brockage From a Tenth Balboa
MS66 and MS64 Brown

1974-S 1C Lincoln Cent Mated Error Pair NGC. The mated pair consists of Coin #1 -- Struck on a 1973 Panama Tenth Balboa -- MS66 NGC; and Coin #2 -- Reverse Brockage -- MS64 Brown NGC. The U.S. Mint struck coins for Panama during 1973, including tenth balboas struck on clad Roosevelt dime planchets. The San Francisco Mint struck Lincoln cents for commerce during 1974. Unlikely as it may seem, it appears that a Lincoln cent die pair consisted of two 1974-S obverse dies, and a struck tenth balboa was fed between those two obverse dies, along with a normal cent planchet. The tenth balboa and cent planchet were stacked on top of each other, with the reverse of the tenth balboa facing one of the obverse dies. The strike pushed the tenth balboa obverse into the reverse of the cent planchet, creating a brockage: an incused and reversed image of the tenth balboa obverse. The brockage side of Coin #2 exhibits moderate carbon. A mated pair certain to evoke discussion within the error community.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51396 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you run that by me again, please.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe just an optical illusion, but the reversed bust on the 1c planchet does not look incuse to me (which obviously is confusing since it should be on a brockage)

Also, shouldn't we have a lot of two obversed 1974-S Lincoln cents floating around if something like this exists? I've never heard of one...
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Edited by SamCoin
09/18/2020 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very confusing. Not what the op said (you explained it great) but how it happened. I think it was literally a one time thing or a as stated above there would be more examples.

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a 1974S magicians penny?
Edited by Willburton
09/18/2020 10:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2428 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The balboa brockage image does look raised, but that might be just an illusion. I suppose that's a strong clash on the Lincoln obverse struck on the dime planchet? Seems this had to be an intentional error by a mischievous mint worker.
Edited by Zurie
09/18/2020 10:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Willburton I didn't phrase my question very well. It's not that I think there could be more coins/pairs just like this, but the San Francisco mint has a reputation for employee assisted errors. You know if this pair is just making it to light, there must be more strange errors that remain in someone's collection of "What I Did When I Worked For The Mint" coins. I can't wait to see what comes up next!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing I just thought of. If they took the time to que up two obverse dies, how many double headed '74-S Cents did they run off at the same time? This had to take some time to put together. How did they not get caught doing this and how did they get the coins out of the mint?

@Zurie The pattern under the Lincoln obverse isn't a clash, it's the reverse of the Tenth Balboa's normal strike that's been flattened out by the over strike die.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
meh, more mint shenannigans in my opinion. Good luck to the seller is all I can say. this is more like, Lincoln dies and sticking a cent planchet in with a balboa at the same time. monkey business In my opinion for this to happen really, especially #2.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
09/18/2020 11:20 am
Learn More...
United States
91223 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2428 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The pattern under the Lincoln obverse isn't a clash, it's the reverse of the Tenth Balboa's normal strike that's been flattened out by the over strike die.

Got it. You would think the mint would have more control over what their employees are doing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This lot is currently bid at $13,000 ($15,600 with Buyer's Premium) and ends in 7 hours 11 minutes. I'll update this post with the final price tomorrow.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction just closed. The coin sold for $21,600 with 38 bidders.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3797 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely an inside job. I hope the Secret Service busts them!
ša va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 407Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05