Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Label Your World Coin 2 X 2s?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3861 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So ...
Over the years I have been a little inconsistent in labeling the 2 x 2s that hold my world coins, and I am thinking of swapping out some of them, so I am a little curious how everyone else does it (y'know it's such a big investment I want to make sure I get it right

Most of mine look something like this on the obverse:
Upper left: Country (or City-State)
Upper right: Date, or if undated, Monarch & date range
Lower left: Denomination
Lower right: Mint

Reverse I am really inconsistent, sometimes listing a catalog reference along the lower part somewhere, sometimes the price I paid. Sometimes nothing on the reverse, especially if it's a coin where I have kept the auction tag and have slid it in behind the 2 x 2.

Is there some approach that's considered "standard"? Or at least commonsensical?

Or just ... how do YOU do it?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3723 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, usually

Upper left, Cpountry and below that the cat. number
Upper right: denomination and below that the year or date range

Lower left: the grade, if I do it
Lower right, the cat. price, if I do it (not usually)

The back: Miscellaneous information, if any, that I want to add. On ancients, usually the legends.
I am not entirely consistent either, and I don't believe there is a "standard" way.
For a dealer all the essential information needs to be on one side. When the coin is in a box and it is sorted alphabetically, the country name and denomination need to be on the top.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no standard way that I've seen. I do it like this:

Obverse
upper left: issuer and Gregorian year with mint (if more than one known mint)
lower left: denomination
upper right: grade
lower right: catalog number (if any)

Reverse
upper left: material (with fineness if precious metal)
lower left: weight

It may look busy reading all of that, but it looks clean on the holder. The example below is what it looks like. Actually it looks better since my handwriting is atrocious.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3861 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, @oriole and @owatchman.

I am not a dealer, so I never thought of displaying the grade on the front. I have things graded in the US and graded by foreign auction houses, so I might shy away from that for now.

The more I think about it, devoting a month or so to this and staying away from buying anything other than a bunch of 2 x 2s would really help my bank account.

Hope to see a few more responses.
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Over the years I have been a little inconsistent in labeling the 2 x 2s that hold my world coins, and I am thinking of swapping out some of them
Guilty. Mine are allover the place.

Good ideas though.

I really do need to go through and refresh my three "12-pocket" Dansco albums that hold my world coins. The pages of the oldest album need to be replaced (sagging). No one seems to have the replacement pages in stock, so I have been contemplating moving it all to 20-pocket pages in a three-ring binder.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17429 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the contents of a 2x2 are self evident, I get lazy and don't bother with any description of the contents at all. That usually applies to lower value coins.

All of my collection is in 2x2's, but some coins have extra protection inside the 2x2, such as enclosed acetate sheets.

At the other extreme, the description written on the 2x2 may be quite comprehensive; it depends on the requirements of the coin. About 20% of my collection have coins that are hundreds, if not thousands of years old. These coins often require varying degrees of completeness in their description, to be written on the 2x2.
I never use slabs - information cannot be written of them.

Some, or all, of the information may include:

When and where bought
Price
Where or who it was bought from
Date, or date range period
Description of type - obverse and reverse
When and what mint it was struck
Mint and privy marks
Metal
Weight
Diameter
Coin catalog reference number(s)
Problems with the coin
Variety noted.

Because of the wide variation in volume of information that may be required it is inconvenient for me to have a data for the collection. Instead, the coins are arranged in date order. As such the collection is a chronological description of the development of World coinage since it's invention 26 centuries ago.
Nevertheless, about 80% of my collection comprises coins that are less then 100 years old.

Instead I use other approaches.
All of my more valuable coins, which is about 5% of the collection are in a small, but very heavy safe. Because of this all of these coins are photographed and a significant part of the rest of the collection is photographed as well.

Three different types of albums are used but they are all of the same storage shelf size
Albums holding 2x2's
Photograph album of coins (obv and rev), with full description of the coin.
An album of invoices and receipts.

All three albums together form a working reference collection, which is supported by a decent coin library.
Descriptions photographs and paper record purchase information provide provenance, if kids choose to dispose of the collection after I kick the bucket.
Edited by sel_69l
09/24/2020 07:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5020 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me the top of the holder must have the critical info. In a storage box it makes it easier to have the Country, date mint and denomination all at or close to the top. The rest varies over time.

Because I collect mostly CCC types I now reserve top center for a category - CCC or NF or COPY or Altered etc which will place the coin in the correct sorting group. If I ever have time I plan to add color coding.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2428 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for me:
top left country
top right year
bottom left denomination
bottom right catalog #

sort of on the topic, curious to know people's thoughts on these (same dimensions as most hard slabs)...

they were offered to the market 10 years ago (not by me) and never really took off, I've been playing with the notion to resurrect the idea

Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sort of on the topic, curious to know people's thoughts on these (same dimensions as most hard slabs)... they were offered to the market 10 years ago (not by me) and never really took off, I've been playing with the notion to resurrect the idea
I have never seen those, but they look interesting.
Learn More...
Australia
13445 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine normally go:

On the front:
Country
Denomination - - - Date
mintmark or alternate date (underneath the date)

Variety if present
Purchase price in bottom right corner

On the back:

Catalog number - - - Collection number

Acquisition date and provenance

I follow the same pattern on the insert card when a coin is going into a 2x2-sized flip.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3861 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional inputs.

Indeed, it looks like everyone has their slight variation.

I like the idea of Date + Mint in same place, which I have not been doing. Unlike US coins where one or two letters specifies the mint, I collect enough places that mint names need to be spelled out to make any sense, and there is the additional choice of whether to use the current local spelling, the spelling of the dominant language of the place at the time of coinage, or an English version! (Gdansk/Danzig, Wroclaw, Breslau, and so on).

Nobody has mentioned listing the monarch's name. For pre-dated era, I have often put this on the front either with the country or with the date.

For example,
Upper left: Brabant
Upper right: Jean III (1312-1355)
Lower Left: Esterlin
Lower Right: Louvain

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05