Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 1 Pound Royal Beasts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 155Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
302 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  01:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on this coin?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1998-Ro...292485980645
I couldn't locate it on the RM site but assume it is on numista here:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7385.html
Why the Royal Beast theme when it seems just the normal CofA Was it issued as part of the 1998 BU set or individually? Numista is saying $20 AUD for UNC which I assume is BU as from what I can gather it was not released for circulation. Also, what is a good price? Sellers on Ebay are asking $70-100.
Thanks
Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Firstly, this is not really a "Royal Beasts" 1 but the standard Royal Coat of Arms one. It was issued with this bust in 1998, 2003 and 2007. (Also in earlier years with a different bust.) The stamps in the set are Royal Beasts, but not the coin. The Royal Beasts coins are Silver Crown size pieces.
In 1998 the 1 coin was issued in BU and proof sets only, hence the rarity and higher value. Anyone attempting a date run of the old design 1 has to buy a set and break it, or find one that someone else has broken out, or, as in this case, get it in one of the First Day cover issues.
However at 40 odd, it is well over-priced if all you want is the coin. There are dozens of offerings on Ebay.co.uk for around half that price - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pound-1-...AOSwQF1fRmrA for example.
All of the above also applies to the 1999 1 - the Scottish Lion Rampant, and that is slightly scarcer but can still be got for around 20.
Valued Member
Australia
302 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  03:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PaddyB - Thanks heaps. Yeah, it was the royal beasts that threw me as I know the coins were not issued till later. Didn't twig that this package had stamps as well. I can get it for $44 AUD but given that I intend to grab the 1998 BU set down the track which I'll break up then I'll give this one a miss.
Ta
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 155Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05