Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 Isabella World Expo 50 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 341Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very Rare Coin ! ONLY 24,214 made .I bought this on ebay. It's slabbed by NGC . What would you grade this ?

Edited by SensibleSal66
09/25/2020 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4694 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your recent purchase!

The coin has the appearance of one that has been harshly cleaned or mishandled. Is it in a "Details" holder?

On a side note, the Isabella Quarter is not a particularly rare coin. Though its mintage was just 10,000 back in 1893, the coin is readily available in today's market for those seeking an example.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/25/2020 11:30 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. How come every it says 24,124. Where is the link for 10,000. I'm not complaining though.
Oh yeah, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! You are correct . Was a bad investment ? I paid around $100 give or take .

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
COMMEMS may have meant $10,000 were authorized for production = 40,000 coins of which 15,809 were melted. Arriving at the 24,214 you reference. I pulled my stats from PCGS coinfacts.

As for a good deal. You paid in the range of an AU details coin of this type. Maybe a touch less than some.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4694 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
COMMEMS may have meant $10,000 were authorized for production

Yep, a case of the mind going down one path while the fingers traveled a different road!

@scopru: Thanks for catching/correcting my mistake - much appreciated!

Quote:
Was a bad investment? I paid around $100 give or take.

To me, that's a difficult question to answer. I personally never recommend to a fellow collector that they purchase a mishandled/Details coin because "coins don't heal" and a Details coin will always be seen as a problem coin. (I recognize that sometimes, a Details coin might be the only reasonably collectible example of a coin (financially speaking), but I am talking the rule here not the exception.)

I always suggest waiting, saving more and then purchasing a problem-free coin in the best grade you can. Details coins do not generally increase in market value to the same degree as problem-free coins, so their investment potential is muted.

Bottom line, however, if you are happy with the coin - it was a good purchase!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yep, a case of the mind going down one path while the fingers traveled a different road

I know this feeling well
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all . I wish saving was an option being on a limited income .lol
At least I leave history behind for my Son and Wife to hopefully enjoy for the future of Numismatics, right ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all collect in our own way for our own reasons and within our means. You have a good addition to a collection with a very interesting history.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one of the reasons I decided to pursue Coins for a Hobby 44 years ago when was 10 .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17402 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very improperly cleaned.
To my eye, it appears to be an EF coin.

I am still envious. I don't have an Isabella Quarter in any condition.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05