Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

If You Want A Unicorn, You Can Bid On This Gold Proof Cartwheel Penny.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 262Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

One of four specimens known to have ever existed, this 1797 proof cartwheel penny in gold is up for sale by Baldwin's of St. James in their October 27 Auction 49, the catalog for which provides a thorough and informative lot description. Viewable, of course, as lot #1047 on the BSJ website, minimum bid is GBP100,000. We're told it was doubtless a Boulton-commissioned presentation piece, but I especially like the last bit of the catalog description, where we're straightforwardly informed that one of the four known examples of this lovely penny "was in the Farouk sale and is in fine condition, having been used as a pocket piece."
"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice penny... it's a little better than my pocket piece!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17450 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In consideration the great weight of this gold 'unicorn', if it was used as a pocket piece,
the owner would have been is severe danger of costume failure, with trousers around his ankles!

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1494 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning piece, I love how the numbers in the date are crooked and it is a wonderful pattern.

It looks far too uncirculated to have been sitting in anyone's pocket. Farouk was a huge buyer of coins and his collection was legendary - 1913 V nickels, Una and the Lion and all that type of stuff.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"One of the four" was the pocket piece...not this one.

Details here: https://bsjauctions.auctionmobility...ritish-coins

"I ain't good-looking, but I'm willing to try."
--- Dave "Snaker" Ray: 'It's All Right,' 1963
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05