Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Peace And Morgan Dollars!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 359 / Views: 18,699Next Topic
Page: of 24
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first release is the CC privy

I was similarly surprised by this, I had expected this to be the last release at least of the Morgans as it will likely be the hot ticket
Pillar of the Community
United States
606 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If NGC considers all these 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars to be commemoratives in its registry, my set will likely no longer be 100% complete.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Corbe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, it's going to be impossible to buy any of those.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10961 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
6 are coming out every week. Man I'm going to be broke!

I may be misreading, but I see six total, 2 per week.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging by the price of other silver dollars, one of these will be about 70 bucks a pop. For that price you can get a actual Morgan dollar graded by PCGS in ms63-4
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
6 are coming out every week. Man I'm going to be broke!

Quote:
Either way, these six dollars and not gonna be cheap!

Quote:
Certainly hope the mint surprises me and lets everyone who wants one of each of these get one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3397 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed the 2.

Quote:

Should have been..

"6 are coming out , 2 every week. Man I'm going to be broke!"
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should have been.. "6 are coming out , 2 every week. Man I'm going to be broke!"
Still...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these are actual morgan and Peace dollars.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th...ll/6192/text
the legislation reads:

SEC. 3. COIN SPECIFICATIONS.

(a) $1 Silver Coins.--The Secretary of the Treasury (hereafter in
this Act referred to as the ``Secretary'') shall mint and issue $1 coins
in recognition of the 100th anniversary of completion of coinage of the
Morgan dollar and the 100th anniversary of commencement of coinage of
the Peace dollar, each of which shall--
(1) weigh 26.73 grams;
(2) have a diameter of 1.500 inches;
(3) contain not less than 90 percent silver; and
(4) have a reeded edge.

(b) Legal Tender.--The coins minted under this Act shall be legal
tender, as provided in section 5103 of title 31, United States Code.
(c) Numismatic Items.--For purposes of sections 5134 and 5136 of
title 31, United States Code, all coins minted under this Act shall be
considered to be numismatic items.

Legal Tender. Not a commem or medal, it's a coin and it's not called in the legislation anything other than a coin honoring the 100th anniversary of the earlier series.

Perhaps the two privy marked ones aren't cool, the CC and the O.
Perhaps you have no interest in the S or the D.
Perhaps you want the S and D mintmarked ones but don't what the Philly Morgan and Peace dollar.

The legislation, doesn't provide a maximum mintage, they could technically Start them may 24th, sell what they have currently and keep them running on a back order with a future ship date and keep the "pay as you go" production method running through the year.

They listed them, they didn't provide specs or composition or mintage, or what finish they'd be using for them. It's just a heads up that it's coming and about a month or so away. they could be thinner .999 for all we know, or be .90 silver and old school specs, they could be a total mintage of 500,000 of all 6 design and be about 80K mintage each, or be unlimited and be minted through the end of 2021.

most of the silver dollar coins last year and this year fall between $73 and $83 each. if they tack on $10 for the museums or something these could cost near $100 each. that's what I think you should probably plan for regardless of the finish or the mintage.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/13/2021 12:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
most of the silver dollar coins last year and this year fall between $73 and $83 each. if they tack on $10 for the museums or something these could cost near $100 each. that's what I think you should probably plan for regardless of the finish or the mintage.

I might have to settle for one of each. It would be nice if they offered a two coin set similar to the dollar and medal sets the last two years. Would look good on the stack.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
623 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't this limit the price of the coins at least a bit?

Quote:
SEC. 6. SALE OF COINS.

(a) Sale Price.--The coins issued under this Act shall be sold by
the Secretary at a price equal to the sum of--
(1) the face value of the coins; and
(2) the cost of designing and issuing the coins (including
labor, materials, dies, use of machinery, overhead expenses,
marketing, and shipping).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8521 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be enlisting family to assist in making sure I get at least one of each, preferably one of each MM. I don't wanna have to pay secondary market premiums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Wouldn't this limit the price of the coins at least a bit?"

You'd think so but they pitched all the R&D in there, all the marketing, all the transportation costs, the dies, the electricity, the manpower, the materials costs, they wrote it so tight to get every single possible cost into it's bottom line, and then they also have to make a profit on it.

there's a spot in the legislation about "(b) Bulk Sales.--The Secretary may make bulk sales of the coins
issued under this Act at a reasonable discount."

Clearly they can't go below costs, so the discount has to be coming from the profit margin. I think all that means is they can't overlook a cost or overhead in creating the sale price of the coins they have to factor everything in creating the price, even the "bulk" discount they will need to offer.

I think generally, everyone worth their salt at running a business knows their total costs per piece, and their markup needed to be profitable, even while offering a 5-10% discount to some purchasers. it's kind of built into it all. COGS, landed costs, loaded costs, whatever it's called. the costs of it from in the door, manufactured and out the door to a customer. I think they just set a bare minimum baseline they wanted covered so the mint didn't move like die or die making costs to a different part of their budget like circulation coinage.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/13/2021 3:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take it everyone is going to (attempt to) buy one or more 2021 Peace/Morgan dollars? No hold outs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3397 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the price. I'll get a Peace dollar the Morgans are optional with a high probability of buying them.
Page: of 24 Previous TopicReplies: 359 / Views: 18,699Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05